Farmed Salmon

KoneZone

I will not eat any Farmed Salmon. If I am ordering off of a menu I always ask if they are offering WILD Salmon. Although I am no expert on this matter it is fairly obvious that there are drawbacks. I think that a farm raised Cat Fish is OK now and then but Salmon, NEVER! Stand up for your wild stocks before it is too late. I am quite sure this is a topic where I can learn from many of you fellow sportsman. Thank you in advance for you thought induced comments. Mike Hyneman / KoneZone.com

Hi KoneZone, I agree with your position on farm raised salmon. When I lived in Edmonton I would always ask if the salmon was wild and the usual response was............. "farm raised in the wild"! Sooooooooo, I ordered chicken! Seawolf 1

Im no expert and dont know the facts,
and call me crazy but ide rather eat the farmed salmon and leave the wild ones inthe ocean[?]

There is still a place for farmed salmon.... ON Land!
and on some one elses dinner plate. Still need to feed world deamnd and farmed salmon can do just that and protect our wild stocks at the same time. Farm away! but keep it out of our oceans.

nedarb2,

The reason people are against farmed salmon is because it damages the wild stocks extensively. So I understand that if you don't know the facts, it seems better to eat farmed and leave the wild alone, but it doesn't work that way. The production of farmed salmon is devastating to the health of wild stocks.

I agree with Seawolf, the farmed fish should be on land. It would cost more initially, but in the long run, would profit in the end because the wild stocks would be better. They already farm salmon on land in New Zeland, but our government decided to go against all the scientific advice (that it paid to have done) and went with pens.

Last I heard, they were planning to put something like 60 pens near the mouth of the Skeena! Crazy. The natives at frist didn't allow it but then the government paid them out and it went ahead. I'm not sure how far along they are now though. Maybe someone up near the area knows more about it and will post?

Dudds

No one has made any mention to the health consequences yet,,,,, I hate to bring up the Suzuki name on this thread but..... I am not sure this is the best avenue of consumption... Seawolf 1

Besides all the problems such as, lice and disease, you have to remove huge feed biomass like krill, herring , anchovy etc. out of the food chain. This takes away from the wild stocks. Guess where this is going?

I've never really heard anything good about fish farming in the ocean except that it is likely the least costly way to do it. And that consideration alone seems to hold sway over any argument against. So I believe that is how the farming will continue until sufficient pressure by a concerned public forces change. Problem is, folks in the large urban centres were population numbers could cause change, don't care; they have plentiful and cheap salmon to put on their plates. The only way I see to change that mind-set would be to prove that the farmed fish is unhealthy. That may be difficult to do because I'm sure each faction would hire 'experts' to counter opinions.

Tom

I am not a proponent of raising fish in the marine environment due to the obvious environmental effects, but our growing population needs protein so alternative solutions need to be found.

On another note, the health issue surrounding the consumption of farmed fish is a red herring. What do chickens and pigs you buy in the supermarket eat??? They are fed the same food from the same feed mills that produce salmon by fish farmers; therefore the heavy build up of toxins is present in these animals as well. The ocean is being harvested at a tremendous rate to support all types of agriculture. Chickens and pigs also have a much poorer food conversion ratio which means they are less efficient to raise than salmon. Thankfully, there is a tremendous amount of research being conducted on the development of alternative feeds for aquaculture that does not utilise fish protein.

If you really want to help the situation buy chicken that has not been fed "feed", and try to limit the amount of pork you eat. This will help reduce the fishing pressure on forage species.

Other good solutions are for alternative species that thrive as herbivores (i.e. tilapia or catfish). Unfortunately most farms feed these herbivores fish protein so they grow faster (similiar to chicken farms).

Aquaculture has its issues but it is a necessary industry.

Back