engine wont idle

Degree of Freedom

I've got a mercruiser 5.7 (2 barrel carb). A couple weeks ago in Bamfield it started idling terribly...as soon as the rpm drops below 1500-2000 it dies. Runs perfect above that. At the time I dumped out the fuel water separator and found it had about 1/2 water 1/2 fuel. Installed a new filter, added some methyl hydrate filled the tank with good gas...the problem persists!
A little stressful docking a 6000 lb boat that won't idle.
Any ideas? Hoping it's something simple before I take it in to the mechanic.
Thanks

It almost sound like you got some crap in the idle cicuit in the carb, wind in the mixture screws, count the turns in and remove them, with compressed air blow out the holes, reinstall the screws and bottom out lightly and back them out to where they were and start it up, this should take about 5 or ten minutes to do and is quite simple, its a start

thanks...
Vic, hoping that's not it...never put anything in except marked gas.
clay, I had the same advice from a guy at work, will give it a try at lunch today.

Turned out to be temporary...I'm rebuilding it this weekend. The jets are a mess. Will try and siphon the crap out of my tank before running it again.

Rebuilt the carb last week and had it out for the weekend...it has never started and run this well since I bought it...well wort the $25 carb kit!!

Back