Engine trade in or sell privately???

jeffb

Hello all, I'm currently set up with twin 1999 150 Yamaha Satwater series II. Looking to switch to a single Yami/Merc verado 250 4 stroke with kicker. I have never re-powered a boat in the lower mainland and was hoping to get some pointers from anyone on the boards as where not to go (or where to go) and what to look out for. Engines only have 450 hours but I want something more economical. The twins are pretty thirsty...

In the past I have delt with Bridgeview marine but cant say Im thrilled with their service.

Service and cost your looking for, well stay away from the Richmond Yami dealer on the Fraser arm but hey Murray at lordship is excellent for SERVICE and all round great Evinrude dealership ..... Have you considered the E-tech ! Just my 5 cents (rounded up).

A dealer will tell you that your yammies have no value, I would sell them privately as you will double your value on them.

Outboard motors are like bic lighters..............pick your favotite color and go with it, they are disposible.

Older outboards....true. Newer 4 strokes, no.

Good luck with the sale. It'll be a hard sell. Private sale will be your best luck. Be prepared to wait. Better than 95 percent of the market is 4 strokes.

Hello all, I'm currently set up with twin 1999 150 Yamaha Satwater series II. Looking to switch to a single Yami/Merc verado 250 4 stroke with kicker. I have never re-powered a boat in the lower mainland and was hoping to get some pointers from anyone on the boards as where not to go (or where to go) and what to look out for. Engines only have 450 hours but I want something more economical. The twins are pretty thirsty...

In the past I have delt with Bridgeview marine but cant say Im thrilled with their service.

Private sale of course you will get more cash and that's the way I would do it. Those engines should sell for around $2500 each or more depending upon condition.

There is a large market for 2-stroke outboards because they are lighter, cheaper to buy and cheaper to fix than 4 strokes. A lot more people can afford $2500 for an outboard than can afford $10,000+ for a 4-stroke in the 150hp class. $7500 buys a lot of fuel and 2-stroke oil...;)

Was just talking with a guy I know at checkpoint Yamaha. Also talked to a mechanic I have known for years at M&P Mercury. Do you have any service records? I know someone who may be interested? How about pics of the entire engines exterior and under the cowlings?

Private sale of course you will get more cash and that's the way I would do it. Those engines should sell for around $2500 each or more depending upon condition.

There is a large market for 2-stroke outboards because they are lighter, cheaper to buy and cheaper to fix than 4 strokes. A lot more people can afford $2500 for an outboard than can afford $10,000+ for a 4-stroke in the 150hp class. $7500 buys a lot of fuel and 2-stroke oil...;)

If you can afford the boat...you can afford the 2 stroke oil, gas and servicing. Quality 2 stroke oil isn't cheap unless you buy in bulk. $7500 in fuel goes by pretty quick if you fish lots and run an hour to your fishing spots...

Back