Electrical help

ExFlyGuy

Whipped up a quick drawing of my planned electrical for the project I’m working on.

Any one see anything that I missed? Or anywhere I can save money?

Not 100 percent sure I’ll use the automatic charging relay as both Suzuki and evinrude make a auxiliary battery charging wire that comes right from alternator.

DCCCD6B3-941D-4A1E-9502-86978B201349.jpeg

Are not the switches represented by the open circuit coming off both batteries moving forward. Looks like 2 switches

Switches are there represented by the open circuit close to batteries.

The kicker charging will be wired into the house battery. I think I will need auxiliary charging from the main during times of heavy battery use( fishing deep all day and then pulling pots). This was an issue I had with my 9.9 not being able to keep up with charging at the end of the day.

Do guys with 20 hp kickers run into this issue?

What about your kicker charging ?

I have the safety 150 at the back, nice unit and makes it explosion proof if it's near the fuel supply infrastructure, which it usually is on most boats. Your wire sizing is too small for your anchor puller and in dash fuse panel. While wire length plays a big role in selecting the right one, Have a look here for a good guideline on this:

https://www.bluesea.com/support/articles/Circuit_Protection/1437/Part_1:_Choosing_the_Correct_Wire_Size_for_a_DC_Circuit

I highly recommend the acr. I have a good story why I have one in mine revolving around being stuck offshore with dead batteries.

X2 on the ACR comment from bpsuls. Seperating the house from the starter batteries is simply the way to go using an ACR. Also adding the ACR green diode combine feature to the dash is a clean,concise means of visually always having a status. Your going to buy the heavy amp fuse links anyway so the extra $$$$ spent is well worth the peace of mind.

Per my previous post from talking to bluesea support. Do not turn to BOTH to combine the batteries if the green LED is blinking. It indicates that one battery is below 9 volts and combining will drain the good battery.

The reason I am not thinking of using the ACR is that most new engines have an option of a second charging lead for your house battery. I believe using this second charging lead eliminates the need for the ACR since when the main is running it supplies charge voltage to both house and start battery all the time. I also don’t think the kicker will supply enough power to close the ACR at least my 9.9 never did on my last boat. The batteries will still be able to be combined via blue sea switch if ever needed.

As for wire size the 6 awg wire and 80amp fuse is what the puller manufacturer recommends for a 50’ circuit. I will look into the main helm wiring though. I just assumed it was big enough for that circuit since it has been there for 40 years.

use three disc switches, the third combines "emergency" allows the house to start the main motor. your wire sizes off the Maxi fuses...... are undersized.

Back