Dual helm throttle and shift cable installation

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi Guy's

Does anybody have a dual helm boat setup with Mercury 150 outboards? If so how does it work with the shift and throttle cables coming from two helms? I am looking at podding and upgrading my Seasport to twins. I was told that going twin non DTS would be a problem for the shift and throttle cables. If that is the case I need to go to 175HP Mercury to get the DTS which costs significantly more.

Marty

I have a Seasport with twin helms with full controls at each...on cables. You have to go to Morse controls that have no detents which would require you to depress a release to allow shifting. Mine are chrome over brass units with two levers...one is shifting the other is throttle. Cables run from the engine to the rear helm...that unit has mounting brackets for a 2nd set of cables that attach and then run forward to the front helm. When you move any handle the 2nd corresponding handle will move with it at the other helm.

I have a single outboard on my SeaSport but it has the Teleflex KE-4 electronic controls which gives me electronic controls at my main and rear helms. In 2007 when my boat was built the fly by wire motors had not come out yet.

Back