Driving along, and my tire falls off.

T

The Fish Assassin

OMG so.. I get some tires for my truck, the tireshop puts them on, and one falls off and passes the truck as it digs into the pavement bounces off the meridian and over two more lanes of traffic. Of course theres a full load of wood on the truck, one of the rails come off, lost a bit of wood, Thank god no one was hurt.

Take only what you need.

I went back to the tire place, to let them know what happened. The guy got all hostile said it was a rotten rim. Basicly he told me to go pound salt, and to sue him if I want, but he won't help fix the damage at all. It is obvious that the rim was fine, the metal that is worn looks pretty shinny to me, and why would he have put back on a rotten rim, when if he told me it was, I would have just bought one from him.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

I went back to the tire place, to let them know what happened. The guy got all hostile said it was a rotten rim. Basicly he told me to go pound salt, and to sue him if I want, but he won't help fix the damage at all. It is obvious that the rim was fine, the metal that is worn looks pretty shinny to me, and why would he have put back on a rotten rim, when if he told me it was, I would have just bought one from him.

Take only what you need.

Name the shop so the rest of us can avoid it.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Rims dont uslually fall off when they remember tighen them [xx(]

Then rim was rotten? seen a lot of things but never seen that.....suppose it could happen. If it was, I thought that shop would have had it replaced before ya drove away...... or towed away if you disagreed?
Shiney around the stud holes? would be if you were driving with loose lug nutz

Sounds like a place to avoid....after they fix the truck

After being treated like that by a guy who's obviously a 'Habs-fan'...(OK-OK just kidding!) the very least I'd do to show my appreciation is write a nice 200-word 'Thank-you' letter in the local rag.

That happened to me last year when my cousin asked me to launch his boat for him! The fricken trailer tire flew off and passed me goin down the road. I was so lucky that it missed the oncoming traffic,it was going so fast when it flew off it skipped over the ditch on the opposite side of the road and was about 20 yards in the bush when it stopped.
we laughed about it after....lucky no one was hurt.

cheers

:DGo Canucks Go:D

call the BBB with your complaint, they will contact the merchant and ask for resolution on your behalf. I don't know of many business's that want anything negative on their BBB report.

sounds like it may have loosened off.....alot of tire shop have a note on their repair orders to "Retorque wheels after x many kms" in order to cover their a%@

quote:Originally posted by striperjack

sounds like it may have loosened off.....alot of tire shop have a note on their repair orders to "Retorque wheels after x many kms" in order to cover their a%@

I had put maybe 150 KM on it since they did the work, at most.

Take only what you need.

We sell a crap load of tires where I work and in 6 years we have never had anything like this happen ,,, my guess is it was not tightened . The rotten rim theory holds no water with me. I wouldn`t have let you leave without a new rim , Seems like the guy missed out on a rim sale if you asked me

email me next time you need something

Im in victoria

tubbed

I would have thought you would have felt a vibration long before the wheel actually came off. The lug nuts don't spin off that fast.

Fish Assassin, I call Bull ****...... name the place where you incurred this or back off........ lots of good stuff to read on here if you can decipher the crap from the real stuff ......SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

Fish Assassin, I call Bull ****...... name the place where you incurred this or back off........ lots of good stuff to read on here if you can decipher the crap from the real stuff ......SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

No - I've had this happen to me once - never felt a thing until the front axel hit the pavement and I saw the wheel bounce into a ditch.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

If I read the post right it would suggest his tire came off the rim. Nothing was said about the wheel coming off. We have all experienced the dreaded loose lug nut at some point, But what he is saying is that the tire was mounted on a bad rim. The lip did not hold the bead in place, therefore hopping off the wheel at higher speed.

Bottom line is the shop is full of BS . If the rim was past the point of being safely used then it should have been brought up immediately!

Wow, what A holes

HA HA SS your a real prize.. Feel free to call BS if you want the rest of us stay away from Highway 4 Auto. I might have been able to feel a vibration, if the tires I took off where round. At least one of them (when I bought the truck) had a slipped belt in them, so when the new tires went on it was a drastic improvement, even if there was a slight vibration. The actual detireing didn't really produce any harsh vibrations until it was too late, when I felt the vibration I started to pull over, then WHAM!!!

Take only what you need.

quote:If I read the post right it would suggest his tire came off the rim. Nothing was said about the wheel coming off.

My bad I guess, it was the rim and tire that dismounted, together the lug nuts managed to stay in the hubcap even after the tire sailed 100's of feet on it's own.

Take only what you need.

Back