Decking options

RogersonCrusoe

Hi all,
I was climbing on some boats at the Victoria Boat Show a couple weeks ago and it really drove home the fact that I need to redeck my boat. The stringers and floor are sound, but it's just painted. Hence, it is prone to becoming a skating rink when there is water or fish detritus onboard.

Looking at a few options and hoping to get some advice here:
1) Vinyl sundecking:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.45-mil-waterproof-vinyl-decking-in-canyon-grey.1000789454.html
2) Rubberized Roll On Paint
3) Non Skid Marine vinyl (seems to be the decking for ThunderJet and Duckworth boats), but I can't find a supplier for it.
4)???

Thoughts? Feelings? Tips?

i used interlux interdeck, great product and easy to apply with a roller, others have used kiwi grip

I used kiwi grip on my deck after a dual tank replacement 3 years ago, still going strong. I don't find it too bad to clean but I have a flush deck and rinse/wash it out often.

I had it done by the GM dealership in Parksville, and it was the installers first major color and boat job. It was around the $1500 mark about three years ago, but sooooo worth it. The installer also did the side panels, the top of the bow and the gunnels for me as well.

Line-X never got back to me with a quote, so they missed out....

That does look good. Is that a 16 or 17' DE?
I just redid the vinyl on my 17. I used Nautolex from JTS outdoor supply. I wanted something with a little give/cushion for impact absorption. I sealed the deck with 1.5 oz CSM that overlapped about two feet in the middle which gave it a slight hump to shed water better.

Just had a vinyl sundeck done14x21
Said he can do boats too.
Uses a 80 mil or 40 ml. Think he said 8.5 ft wide
He's very particular and takes great pride in his work 20 years of experience
PM me for contact info

Another vote for Kiwigrip.Ex Fly Guy is correct in stating it's hard to keep clean with just a washdown.I find a light powerwashing after a good scrubbing with a deck brush and Dawn detergent cleans it up pretty good.There's just so many peaks and valleys
in the texture that dirt and grime stay trapped easily.This is also why it works so well for traction and for that reason alone, I tolerate the deck not looking shiny new all the time.

That does look good. Is that a 16 or 17' DE?
I just redid the vinyl on my 17. I used Nautolex from JTS outdoor supply. I wanted something with a little give/cushion for impact absorption. I sealed the deck with 1.5 oz CSM that overlapped about two feet in the middle which gave it a slight hump to shed water better.

It's a 1977 17.5' DE, which was originally a 130hp Volvo powered inboard, and which I've now converted to a 115 Yamaha 2-stroke on a pod...not the most environmentally correct power these days, but given the significant weight savings and simplicity of a 2-stroke.... I can always upgrade to 4-stroke power later on.

I have a diamond pattern non-skid on my fibre glass deck. Through the years it has gotten chipped and worn. I have gel coated it and while the colour is a pretty good match there are places that no longer have the cut diamonds in them. Any suggestions-will the Kiwigrip go over it or will I have to sand it smooth?

Have interlux interdeck and kiwigrip on the boat... Like the interlux better, it's kind of the industry standard as far as that stuff goes more aggressive grip, not as "Rubbery", wears harder than the Kiwi (but not as soft of a surface). Sure wouldn't want to slide or kneel on it though it's like sandpaper!!!

What really matters most is the prep. Your coating job is pretty much going to be as good as that, as it needs a we;;-prepped surface to stick to, that's the key to it lasting. So either work really.

I had my deck painted with awl grip two years ago. Still provides a good non-slip surface on the deck. It is harder to keep clean than the original frp deck and likely will repaint this year. Going to paint over with Interdeck paint this year in the hope it will hold up better. Plus I already have a can.

Back