Dead Whale found under Fish Farm Containment Net

What you read in the news is often a spin on the real story and judging by how shady that industry is....... I wouldn't be surprised if the farm was at fault. Either way it's time for these things to get off the coast.

No farmed salmon were harmed. Whew! ....As if we cared. Hmm, how would one conduct an investigation of a fish farm. They are afterall, a quasi-top-secret subsidiary of the federal government and DFO.

They shoot sea lions at will..... Maybe they can shoot whales now too.

Mainstream claims it died some time ago, sank, drifted and broke through the predatory net and then somehow floated up under the net pen lol.... Incredible!

"Although the cause of death is unknown, Jensen said the company believes the whale has been dead for some time because divers inspected the farm’s nets only two days earlier and found nothing unusual."........:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
For their implied (It’s not our fault) theory to work. It would have had to die, have its stomach contents bloat up and float but not sufficient flotation to keep in on the surface but rather float in the water column to the fish farm and into the containment nets. It then bloated up some more to surface in the net pens. Or it managed to swim under/into the nets and then drop dead of natural causes bloat up and surface.

This is the kind of story that will leak out so my impression is that the industry PR professionals have decided to try and get out in front of it and put their best spin on it. Will we ever know what actually happened? I suspect not.

Another theory could be that it was swimming in the area at night when it got caught in the nets and drowned, bloated up and floated up in the farm, but let’s not go crazy with some farfetched possibility.

I can tell you that when a mammal is killed in the late afternoon in the wild, it’s stomach bloats up with huge amounts of gas overnight, even in subzero temperatures. Who know how long it would take a bloating whale caucus under a net pen to actually have sufficient buoyancy to overcome the net resistance and anchors and float it to the surface.

The one absolute certainty is that if there were no massive fish farms in the first place we would not be having this discussion.

It's one of the first whales showing up here this season so it's not far fetched to say it died of natural causes. If they were really trying to cover something up why wouldn't they just tow it away and not alert authorities?

Just saw a news report on CTV which said that the whale was found "up against" the fish containment net as did the Province story rather than "underneath" the net as the Times Colonist reported. Why don't we all wait for the necropsy before we condemn the aquaculture industry?

What the heck is going on..... The whale drifted through a hole in the outside predator net.
Then floated to the surface next to a netpen with the farm fish.
Divers were down inspecting the nets and found no hole in the predator net the day before.
Now a hole that can fit a whale through would be a big friggin hole.
And that hole would not just appear by accident.

I think you guys may be reading to much into this.

As much i am against the farms i doubt they had much to do with this whale dying. The currents probably pushed the carcass into the farm, IMO.

They wouldn't just tow it away because it will eventually be found an autopsy done and it may trace back to the fish farm. Better to just spin the story accept no blame (as always) and hope for the best.

Regardless of if it was the net pen that killed it or not this would be their strategy.

They wouldn't just tow it away because it will eventually be found an autopsy done and it may trace back to the fish farm. Better to just spin the story accept no blame (as always) and hope for the best.

Regardless of if it was the net pen that killed it or not this would be their strategy.

Autopsys are not done on every whale that dies and how would they trace it to a fish farm? I'm not a big supporter of fish farms but the negative mindset of some people towards them seems to overtake their logical thinking.

Autopsys are not done on every whale that dies and how would they trace it to a fish farm? I'm not a big supporter of fish farms but the negative mindset of some people towards them seems to overtake their logical thinking.

You say you are not a "big" supporter yet you have posted a fair bit in support of them. That would suggest the possibility you are a "medium" level fish farm supporter. As for logical thinking, that depends on your viewpoint and many could suggest that a positive (pro fish farm) mindset in light of all the information and the world wide history of the industry also raises questions about logical thinking.

Removing a dead whale from a net pen and smuggling out a dead whale would have had a good chance of being discovered and would have been a PR disaster as it would appear as what it would have been, a coverup, and I suspect likely would have also been unlawful. it is a sensational event and even keeping one of their low level employees from talking about it may have been a risk as people love to talk about secrets like this. What would be the outcome if the average boater were caught dragging around a dead marine mammal on a tow rope?

They did what I suspect their lawyers and highlly paid PR and comunication professionals advised them. Report it to authorities, spin like crazy and get out in fromt of the story in the media, then hope for the best and that your government friends can help limit any negatives that may come out of it.

It would seem that if the nets were inspected 2 days before a hole large enough for a whale would have been found and repaired. If not, you need new divers. Which means the probable cause would be that it caused the hole. Since it is predator netting, I think it would be strong enough to deter a dead whale from breaking through or you you would be out of luck with a hungry sea lion or seals. I have no qualms about saying I hate fish farms and the destruction they reeking on our ocean habitat. This however would just seem to be their bad luck at being at the wrong place and time. Add it to the list to make their operations land based. That way if a whale is discovered under the tanks our first nations can claim it as land from their ancestors. ;)

I think you guys may be reading to much into this.

As much i am against the farms i doubt they had much to do with this whale dying. The currents probably pushed the carcass into the farm, IMO.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...n-fish-farm-raises-questions/article10503195/

You may be correct, however, have you read the preliminary comments from Larry Paike, DFO’s Director of Conservation and Protection. It is not surprising to me at all that one has to go to the back east newspapers such as the Globe and Mail to get a little more balance to the story. On this issue BC Media are more dependent on industry and government advertising dollars and more subject to local political and corporate pressure than the back east media. For that reason it is not surprising to me that BC Media often regurgitate Industry spin provided to them. Hopefully Judith Lavoie will continue to follow this story with a little more industry critical eye and that her Times Colonist editors will let her.

So here is some of the comments of Mr. Paike from the Globe and Mail story.

[“…So there are a number of possible scenarios. One it dies of natural causes, drifts into a hole in the predator net and once it bloats comes up underneath. That is kind of like trying to shoot a hockey puck from centre ice into a golf cup holder.

“A more likely scenario is it was feeding, became disoriented, confused…and somehow became encumbered with the ropes from the predator net, or the predator net itself, and then subsequently drowned”.

Mr. Paike said a necropsy would be done Friday to determine cause of death.

“Certainty water in the lungs would indicate to me it drowned,” he said.].

What is astounding here is that this is a senior DFO Official saying this. I was surprised and amazed at his forthright candor. One wonders if he is full pension eligible and close to retirement as this is pretty much unprecedented.

When the industry has been in serious trouble it is not uncommon for government to pull a senior DFO official or scientist out for a sound bite or two in defense of the industry.

Seems to me there are only two possibilities: One is that the Harper government has decided to back away from the gagging and intimidation of scientists and senior officials in its blind obsession to promote industry at all costs (unlikely) or Mr. Paike simply forgot himself and what was expected of him by his employer. One wonders if he has already got ‘the call’ or been asked to come in for ‘a little chat’. I would say Mr. Paike is a brave man and it should be reassuring to all of us that there is at least one remaining in the senior levels of DFO.

Causing the death of a Humpback whale would be very damaging for the industry. It is an iconic symbol of environmental concern worldwide and the potential to undue untold millions in pro fish farm PR efforts by both our governments and the industry is significant.

They should know by the end of the day if there is water in the lungs which would be a strong indicator of drowning. There is no reason this could not be announced by this evening. The question is will we ever be given the truth and has Mr Paike been intimidated into silence or the kinds of pro industry messaging the government has historically permitted?

Would anyone else be surprised if we end up with the governments and industry new favorite word when it comes to the fish farm industry (inconclusive) playing a large role in the announcement on the cause of the whales death. I am sure the industry is hoping for a validation of the ‘hockey puck in the golf cup' theory apparently promoted by the industry and publicized in the BC Media.

All i know is from the scuttlebutt around town was that it just floated into the farm after it was already dead.

IF the whale had lacerations from being caught in a net, had water in its lungs (indicating drowning) and there was no commercial fishing in the area that might point to a net pen. Then maybe a farm employee spills the beans or shares a picture from the site and the cats out.

I'm not saying this whale was killed by the farm I have no idea. I am saying if a farm did kill a whale they would probably not accept responsibility and would be looking for a way to mis direct the attention to something else.

Like maybe it was dead and drifted in - nothing we could do. Actually good thing the farm was there otherwise the carcass might have washed up on a public beach and scared some kids. Thank The Lord for the fish farm it saved the day.

I wouldn't call Kelly a fish farm supporter I think (hope) he is just waiting to have real proof before he speaks out. It's true guys like me with more opinions then facts will lose most arguments with a spin doctor no matter how logical my opinion is because the lobbyists just sit back and say prove it which I can't. Then they point to all these pointless studies to distract confuse and annoy. Kelly has more smarts then to get caught up in that once you lose your credibility it's hard to get it back.

Not pro farming but I think the burn the witch at the stake approach gets old fast. Accusations should have some evidence behind them, the media is at fault as well since the article hints the whale death could be related to farming with no proof.The animals at the front and back of species migrations often are at a greater risk of death. As mentioned its not far fetched it really died and drifted into the nets.

The salmon farming industry feeds us with BS all the time and they hide information. This story was just too easy to jump on, even though its very likely just a random whale death. That being said I'll bet it wouldn't have been reported if it happened in a really remote farm site. If a farm boat got caught towing a dead whale they would look worse off than just reporting it in the first place.

Anyways, I also dislike the idea of jumping all over someone or an industry with unfounded info...... But... Just about all the info you can get on the aquaculture industry is speculation seeing as how they are so well protected. Some very disturbing stories leak from past employees, people employed in aquaculture spin off jobs and others. It's a brutal industry that should never have been allowed in this province.

Back