Crimping Hook Barbs

kunni

Ok, I was crimping all my flies today, and I had a few barbs that just broke off leaving a nub. If I take a file to this will it significantly effect the strength of the hook? what do you guys do if you break a barb?

kunni

What a way to ruin a perfectly good hook! LOL!

Dave

I prefer not to crimp, but I have been ripping up the smaller fishes mouths with the barbed hooks, and have had trouble releasing. So barbless hooks seem the way to go. :D

thanks

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer not to crimp, but I have been ripping up the smaller fishes mouths with the barbed hooks, and have had trouble releasing. So barbless hooks seem the way to go. :D

thanks

kunni

I agree, I also feel bad about catching the little ones with a barbed hook. Just pinch it, a nub is OK.

ok thanks

kunni

I seem to recall that if it is a barbless only fishery, the fishery officer could use the snag test. That is to say they will run a piece of cloth over it and if it snags its not barbless. You have to watch the ones that are almost pinched closed but not all the way as they can snag the cloth sometimes. If the barb breaks off leaving a sharp nub, what would it hurt to smooth it over with a small file and be sure. If it is not a barbless fishery and you are just doing it for yourself, I guess it really does not matter.

I fish lakes, anything goes when it comes to hooks, The only reason for doing it is aid in releasing fish

kunni

Back