cracks in new boat

D

duke_9

looking for feed back I hace purchased a 2005 arima 21 ft boat and have put 200 hrs on it and I am experiencing cracks in the boat in the floor and on the dash this boat has seen limited usage and I feel that this is unreasonable the boat coat if anyone else is experiencing this problem please write me thanks

Arima's generally have a pretty good reputation. Cracks in fiberglass can be two kinds. One kind is cosmetic and is related to a problem with the gelcoat and the other is structural where an underlying flaw in the fiberglass substrate is being projected through the gelcoat.

Arima's are made like a lot of modern boats. They build the hull and add stringers and foam and then they bond the liner to the hull. Some glue them, some screw them and some are bolted or a combination of all three.

If you haven't had an "impact" event like dropping something in these areas or putting excessive weight on them I thing you have a problem with a poorly fitted liner not getting underlying support so the gelcoat is flexing and cracking. Gelcoat has no intrinsic strenth and does not flex so the fiberglass underneath must be rigid.

Arima's have a five year warranty and i would get that boat right back to the dealer. The warranty is transferable evn if you are not the original owner. Good luck.

Back