Cowichan

Captain Dudds

I'm just gettin into steelheading, and the cowichan is the closest river that holds steelies I think (I'm in Victoria). Anyways, just wondering if anybody's had any luck there lately, or anywhere else this side of Nanaimo.

Thanks Captain Dudds

Although I havn't fished it yet this year its currently very high and dirty with all the rain we been hav'n. If it gets cool like the long range forcast predicts for the 20th it should really start to shape up. I've rarely been able to fish it before mid to late February due to winter rains. March and even 1st half of April is prime. Keep an eye on the water levels and when it starts to get down to 1.8 or less it will start to become fishable.
http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/fullgraph.asp
Tight lines

thanks dr.hook, thats a really good website. I'll let you know if anything happens whenever i make it up there.

Thanks Captain Dudds

Port Renfrew might be closer then the Cowichan river and i know theres some rivers there that hold some nice steelhead

Edited by - RVN10 on 01/18/2006 20:18:14

Port Renfrew might be closer then the Cowichan river and i know theres some rivers there that hold some nice steelhead

Edited by - RVN10 on 01/18/2006 20:18:14

as of tues when i was at the hatchery the river was very high (up in the trees) and very muddy- unless we get a few days in a row of little to no rain i wouldnt count on much.

as of tues when i was at the hatchery the river was very high (up in the trees) and very muddy- unless we get a few days in a row of little to no rain i wouldnt count on much.

Captain.D,
How are you? Sorry I was screening your calls. hahaha
The other Geoff

the other Geoff

Thursday, probly nothing. i have class from 1130 to 1, but its not really a big deal if i miss it, depending on what i miss is for (obviously, fishing qualifies). Are you going to be in vic? if so, lets hit the chuck, halibut will be open then. if not, let me know, we could meet at the cowichan, or maybe even the stamp if i feel like puting in the drive.

Thanks Captain Dudds

having never fished the cow, for those in the know is it usually a better march/april river?
thinking maybe more stable water conditions could help sucess...

I'll call you soon. Might be coming to qualicum only, so the Stamp would be my bet, but that is a little out of the way for you, I know. 3 days without Nicotine! Talk to you soon.

the other Geoff

if wanting steel stamp would be the best bet should be startn to heat up more since river gunna be risein ......steelheadman

Back