Costa Lotta and the Qualicums

Red Carey

I heard a rumour that the boat launch there is out for the season. The new owners are apparently shutting the site down for a year. I was also told, after the sale was complete the Knutsons tried to buy it back but to no avail. After 18 years of yearly Labour Day trips to fish the Qualicums, this news is devestating. Anyone have any confirmed knowledge on this issue ???

If it is true......please don't tell me the nearest ramps to the rivers are Deep Bay and French Creek !!

This is true. You will have to run from either Deep bay or from French Creek both quite a run. As most know this is a hot evening fishery with many fish caught just before dark this will make for an interesting run back to the launches. If any one else knows of a another launch closer please post it here.

Cheers ME

There is a launch on Qualicum beach I believe, however it is dependant on high tide, and there is very little parking. If using this launch it may be closer to fishing out front of the Little Q than Costa Lotta was.

Dissapointing news to me too as I used to annually take part in that fishery too.

If someone has more info on the Qualicum beach launch let us know.

Sheldon M

I grew up in Qualicum and my mom still lives there. The launch in Qualicum is dry at low tide. The locals use mooring buoys if they want to keep their boat in the water. The parking is limited. The area around the launch is a public park. It's a beautiful spot. Not many spots around to put a boat in.

I went to check it out a couple of weeks ago, pretty sad looking place now, the ramp is a mess, infact the whole place is, but there is lots of parking

Back