Cost of Running add in Gail Shea riding

Hindsight

I would like to know if any one is intrested in running an business card add in Gail Shea riding ? It cost $300 with tax and is on the front page and in color. Take it to her home town. What do you guys think ? The Guardian PEI is the paper plus it helps get a letter to the editor published it would be great if we sent letters to the editor around the same time. They have a spot open on March 9 and 10. We can also write letters on line at the above Guardian PEI.

Just wrote letter to editor and she got back to me right away and will publish on Monday

I would like to bring to your attention what your local MP Shea is doing to
the Canadian Public.

MP Shea has privatized a Canadian fishery out here on the West Coast. We
have 435 individuals who were gifted 88% of the halibut quota leaving only
12% for the hundreds of thousands of Canadians who enjoy sport fishing. Shea
refuses to adjust this unfair arrangement, and in fact, she and DFO are not
even sure who they all are.

Over the past seven years we have asked the Fisheries Minister to change the
quota to a more appropriate 80 / 20 split and allow for future growth in the
recreational sector. We were amazed and very disappointed when Ms Shea
announced last Tuesday that no changes would be made and we would have to
buy the right to fish for halibut from the commercial quota holders. So the
rest of Canada, you and me, our children and future generations of anglers,
are going to lose a valuable fishing opportunity, while a few privileged
businessmen get very rich. This is a common property resource and should
belong to all of us.

I would ask you to please check out all the facts at www.bchalibut.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know if any one is intrested in running an business card add in Gail Shea riding ? It cost $300 with tax and is on the front page and in color. Take it to her home town. What do you guys think ? The Guardian PEI is the paper plus it helps get a letter to the editor published it would be great if we sent letters to the editor around the same time. They have a spot open on March 9 and 10. We can also write letters on line at the above Guardian PEI.

I am not sure this is a good idea and may actually backfire and garner her support in her riding by being perceived as attacks by outsiders. I doubt her constituents give a dam about west coast issues, but they do care about east coast issues.

I understand she only won by a few votes last time. I would suggest that if you have money to spend, that it would be best to work out which opposition candidate in her riding has the best chance of defeating her and send them (without a lot of fanfare) a political party donation for use in the campaign. Let them fight it out with her on the east coast issues for which she is vulnerable.

I read your letter which I think you added by edit after your first paragraph; it’s pretty good. Still, I think we need to be cautious and I think it is better overall to support those who know the east coast issues and can fight her as a local.

Just got off the phone with the editor went very well, I also went through the SFIBC its going in as a letter to the editor. Sounds like they are also fed up with their MP. Mondays paper

Congratulations Hourston - Looks like your letter got published in the PEI Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Opinio...86547/Sheas-announcement-very-disappointing/1

Shea’s announcement very disappointing

Published on February 28, 2011
Published on February 28, 2011
Topics : West Coast , Canada , Port Renfrew

Editor:

I would like to bring to your attention what your local MP Gail Shea is doing to the Canadian public. As fisheries minister, Shea has privatized a Canadian fishery out here on the West Coast. We have 435 commercial fishermen who were gifted 88 per cent of the halibut quota leaving only 12 per cent for the hundreds of thousands of Canadians who enjoy sport fishing. Shea

refuses to adjust this unfair arrangement, and in fact, she and DFO are not

even sure who they all are.

Over the past seven years, we have asked the fisheries minister to change the

quota to a more appropriate 80/20 split and allow for future growth in the

recreational sector. We were amazed and very disappointed when Ms. Shea

announced last Tuesday that no changes would be made and we would have to buy the right to fish for halibut from the commercial quota holders.

So the rest of Canada, you and me, our children and future generations of anglers, are going to lose a valuable fishing opportunity, while a few privileged businessmen get very rich. This is a common property resource and should belong to all of us.

I would ask you to please check out all the facts at www.bchalibut.org

John Wells,

Port Renfrew, B.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back