Cool experience on the water!

They've been known to breach onto boats, I personally think they are nearsighted. Weren't you a bit concerned that it was going to position it's belly to your hull and try to mate? Great footage!

Someone on a video website linked it and people complained I was risking the whale by leaving the motor running. All I could say was I was thinking like you. This is freaky...and intimidating.

So I kept the motor in neutral and we enjoyed the moment until the whale drifted too far away and we left to get back to fishing. My logic was...do I want to be near a 40 ton whale making a little background noise...or being stealthily quiet.

I chose to be heard. :)

I guess my son tried to set it up...but messed it up.

Oh well it was very interesting watching 200, 400 and at one point 3000 views an hour.

Curious what tomorrow will bring.

Discovery Channel called today and wanted to know if they could use the video on their Daily Planet, whats trending segment. I asked if they could donate any money for the use to a BC whale research outfit. Anyone know one that is pro fishing? They are thinking of airing tomorrow.

Also thanks to all the kind words.

I truly wish everyone could have such a cool experience.

I wrote this article to remember the trip. Hope it reads ok. I am not a...ummm...professional writer as you may notice. Be kind. :)

Charting Unguided Waters - Whale visitor article

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my son tried to set it up...but messed it up.

Oh well it was very interesting watching 200, 400 and at one point 3000 views an hour.

Curious what tomorrow will bring.

Discovery Channel called today and wanted to know if they could use the video on their Daily Planet, whats trending segment. I asked if they could donate any money for the use to a BC whale research outfit. Anyone know one that is pro fishing? They are thinking of airing tomorrow.

Also thanks to all the kind words.

I truly wish everyone could have such a cool experience.

I wrote this article to remember the trip. Hope it reads ok. I am not a...ummm...professional writer as you may notice. Be kind. :)

Charting Unguided Waters - Whale visitor article

if you google viral video marketing, there's lots of companies that will help you make money on the video and just take a percentage. Its a very cool video and if you handle it right, promote it right, you could make enough money for some new toys and a few extra trips. Don't be lazy, make some money off that sucker!

if you google viral video marketing, there's lots of companies that will help you make money on the video and just take a percentage. Its a very cool video and if you handle it right, promote it right, you could make enough money for some new toys and a few extra trips. Don't be lazy, make some money off that sucker!

I may have find someone as it is taking a lot of time to return phone calls and emails from BC, Alberta, US, Japan and the UK. Crazy how these things go viral.

BC Global News just covered the story!

http://globalnews.ca/news/1179293/watch-2/

It is also supposed to be on Daily Planet tonight (Discovery Channel) and BC Global news tonight. Please let me know if you see it aired on Global. I would be curious

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have find someone as it is taking a lot of time to return phone calls and emails from BC, Alberta, US, Japan and the UK. Crazy how these things go viral.

BC Global News just covered the story!

http://globalnews.ca/news/1179293/watch-2/

It is also supposed to be on Daily Planet tonight (Discovery Channel) and BC Global news tonight. Please let me know if you see it aired on Global. I would be curious

Cheers

There's companies that will handle all that, even reach out to other channels and get you more coverage - and many won't take anything but a percentage. The thing is you want this happening AS its going viral as its going to come down to views. Viral videos have a life span and if you wait until its 1,000,000 views to monetize, you have missed the peak.

something to think about, might be a few bucks in it for you.

was on global news with Chris Galius, will probably be on the evening news too

Awesome video!! Watched all of them on youtube channel. I think humpy was just lonely out there and wanted to come socialize with something or someone..lol. It was definitely looking for a belly rub!! It obviously liked the energy you guys had cause it sure did stick around for a while, looked like it was about 20 min from all the videos. Must be pretty humbling to be so close to such a massive animal.

Awesome video!! Watched all of them on youtube channel. I think humpy was just lonely out there and wanted to come socialize with something or someone..lol. It was definitely looking for a belly rub!! It obviously liked the energy you guys had cause it sure did stick around for a while, looked like it was about 20 min from all the videos. Must be pretty humbling to be so close to such a massive animal.

Actually stayed with us for an hour. Our cameras were still in our dry bags while we were setting up the gear. Then the humpy showed up and we just stood there for a while soaking it all in. When he seemed to stay put I dug out my camera and snapped a bunch of photos. Then took some video. Then more photos. Then dug out my underwater camera and took some underwater shots. Then warmed hands...then more shots... then warmed hands.

Time flew but amazingly enough he stayed close by for a long, long time.

Humbling is an understatement. Just being chosen for such an amazing experience was lucky beyond imagination!

There's companies that will handle all that, even reach out to other channels and get you more coverage - and many won't take anything but a percentage. The thing is you want this happening AS its going viral as its going to come down to views. Viral videos have a life span and if you wait until its 1,000,000 views to monetize, you have missed the peak.

something to think about, might be a few bucks in it for you.

Thought long and hard on this and eventually came to the realization I am way over my head on this. So I just signed with a company. These guys.

http://www.reelseo.com/video-go-viral-case-study/

Amazing video! I had a similar experience, but much quicker, fishing in my buddy's boat as a kid. We were jigging off ecvi, near maple bay, and saw a pod of killer whales, far off. They surfaced a few hundred yards away, and then, came under the boat and surfaced maybe 15 feet off the side of the boat. Didn't expect it at all. When the first orca spouted it scared the pants off us. Then seeing the others' shadows under the boat was something. It was pretty quick 15 seconds of breaching, and the whales kept travelling along. Enjoyed your video very much.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back