Conversation at the ramp

scott craven

I was cleaning fish by the boat ramp yesterday when a fellow rode up on his bike to have a look.
the conversation went like this....

q)"wow, those are big, did you just catch those ?"

a)Yes.

q)"Are those Salmon ?

a)Yes.

q)"Where did you catch them ?"

a)You see that island out there?, about 1/2 mile past it.

q)"I'm from Toronto, how do you get your boat to that island ?

a) No, no I didn't catch them from the island, in the ocean out behind it.

q) "oh, I like it here I would like to go fishing here too."

I had a chuckle on the drive home :D

I think it's some kind illness only found in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec... It really comes out and shines when visiting BC.... :)

Hahah. Thanks for the laugh this Monday morning Scott. I'm sure I have had similar chats at the launch in esq. when memory recovers from the weekend, I'll post it up.

lol - I've had similar talks to with tourists at the docks. Amazing they could even find the airport to get here.

How many feet above sea level are we? Reply..... How high are the heels on your boots?
Do you also use hooks on spoons? Reply....No the fish just hold on to the spoon.
Are there other types of fish around here? Nope just salmon
Does your motor run on gas? Reply.... No we plug in at the launch
How do you get you boat to the water? Reply I put it in the back of my truck
Do fish actually bit those? Reply.... Nope only bait and I couldn't afford any this year.
A friend was asked..... How much would that mountain weigh? Reply.... With or without trees

How many feet above sea level are we? Reply..... How high are the heels on your boots?
Do you also use hooks on spoons? Reply....No the fish just hold on to the spoon.
Are there other types of fish around here? Nope just salmon
Does your motor run on gas? Reply.... No we plug in at the launch
How do you get you boat to the water? Reply I put it in the back of my truck
Do fish actually bit those? Reply.... Nope only bait and I couldn't afford any this year.
A friend was asked..... How much would that mountain weigh? Reply.... With or without trees

I'm surprised no one has asked you

Why do your balls glow in the dark?

I'm surprised no one has asked you Why do your balls glow in the dark?

I did get the roller derby girls from the Sunshine Coast in my shop so they could see my glowing balls. Just like the other ladies in my life they all laughed when I went to show them and turned out the lights. :)

It just reaffirms the fact that we live in our own little world here, us anglers. Most outside the angling community have no idea, and that is why we have such a hard time putting pressure on the powers to effect change. It's us against the world!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.........:)

Bob the Weighmaster at the Tyee Clubhouse and I had a good laugh the other day when a fellow asked: "On average how many hours does one spend in a rowboat before they catch a Tyee?"

Perfectly honest question from someone with no knowledge of the history here nor of whom he asked the question either, which made it more funny too.

I explained that in my case I've had three people catch a Tyee from my boat and all in less than 1 1/2 hours time and each the first time ever in a Tyee rowboat.
Probably averaged an hour or so.

On the other hand, there is a photo with the story in the Clubhouse showing a fellow who registered his first Tyee at age 14 and during the next 86 years never got another, despite much effort. He died at 100 years of age.

Not a very good average there.

So the question was funny to us and we explained why to the fellow and he enjoyed a laugh also.

My favorite question is always: "What time do the whales come by?"

Take care.

My favorite question is always: "What time do the whales come by?.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me of a common question around here in the spring.

"When will the herring arrive at yellow point?"

Or

Q: where did you catch those lingcod?
A: in between secret cove and zipper lip rock
Follow up Q: I can't find zipper lip rock on my charts where is it?
A: ......

I used to work at painters when I was younger . I had an American lady look out at the straight in between painters and quadra island and say "that is the widest river I've ever seen " . She then asked how far it was to the ocean . She figured that was the campbell I guess.

Back