composite decking thoughts and suggestions

bigdogg1

Time to redo our house decking. It measures roundly 600 s.f on differents levels. The structure beneath is sound and solid to the foundation. The first iteration was the 5/4 PT boarding that soon went away. It was replaced with a set of 12" x 12" square tiles that have served their purpose. Love the low maintenance but not a big fan of the way junk gets into the joints causing buckling, etc. Have been looking hard at the composite boards in 12 - 20' lengths (Trex etc). This has quickily added to a 3K bill just for the decking material. Is this basically you get what you pay for or have others had success finding lower cost composite anywhere on the island?

I had a Trex deck built 7 years ago. 150 square feet. The contractor had to build the sub frame with pressure treated and then laid Trex on that. I paid $7K for it. Worth every dime. No maintenance, no slivers, no moss or green growth. Yours in big, Trex is expensive. That price seems in line to me....

K. I build decks as part of my construction buisness. Trex can swell in our climate. It has wood fibre as part of the product. I’d recommend an all PVC product. But special attention has to be spent on expansion and contraction with these products. All the joints have to be spaced as it expands more than wood and will buckle. Otherwise they can be a great low maintenance product. AZEK decking is the product I recommend.

x2 what MJ sed and depending on the fasteners they can move. can make for a super dangerous situation if the deck is on a second storey and the decking moves off it’s subframe.
you go take a step and go thru the deck. not good

PVC and particularly Azek is bulletproof provided correctly installed with manuf fasteners. The other product I work with a lot is porcelain slabs on a pedestal system. Double thickness exterior grade tiles. Freeze thaw rated, textured for non slip surface, loads of patterns available. Look at Abbotsford Concrete 'Aristokrat' online for an example.

Last edited:
Back