Commercials suing govt over the 3% that was removed from thier allocation..Butts

They are organized and dont f around.!! Gotta give em that. Weird I thought it costs millions to take the government to court over halibut?

Hope for our sake they lose.....

Lorne

as usual

8bg0gh

Last edited by a moderator:
I can just see the commercial guys, "your honour I know we were given the quoat for free but now its worth only half a million dollars".

Perhaps if we had halibut farms this would not be happening. Just sayin'

Perhaps if we had halibut farms this would not be happening. Just sayin'
You must mean in BC, as Atlantic halibut are being farmed in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. It is just what BC needs, another "open net pen" polluting industry - Just sayin'

Hi Charlie. I did expect a knee jerk reaction to my comment from someone here related to salmon farms. Salmon FARM, Halibut FARM. I too see the correlation you are making here but if you understand the present day challenges of halibut farming you would realize it is a very different situation from salmon farms. This is why we do not have them in BC. ITt is new and in the R & D stages and the potential I believe is not quite known. So I think your comment is a bit pre-mature. From reading your post on salmon farming I can see why you have jumped to this conclusion on halibut farming so recklessly. Perhaps if there were hali farms in bc that extra bunch of butts on the market would lower the price a bunch making the demand drop and the commies would fish less and the sport sector could fish more. I have seen my personal quota get chopped in half in one foul swipe and that was a real game changer for me. And now with early closures it seams like even more has been taken from us as sport fishers. But if you work for Jim Pattison you will see this very differently i guess. Luckily Halibut is managed well but as we all would agree allocation is the big problem and I do not see any easy solution. And now it is getting worse with this court action. They are taking all of us to court. You and me Charlie...our tax dollars. Opps sorry I see you hail from seattle so I guess its just us.
not to worry, I do not think you will see any hali farms on this cost for a long time. My comment is really just a theoretical suggestion for thought.

It's just a matter of time before the scientists find a way to genetically modify Halibut so that they spend their lives in fresh water.

Just think....Halibut from coast to coast in all the big lakes......

They could probably do this with Chinook too....they did it in the Great lakes.

Just think........a Tyee Club at Shuswap lake, Great Slave lake......the list goes on....

Then they can leave us sporties on the coast alone......

How about triploid Kokanee going 20lbs.....see your future, be your future.......

There are triploid Rainbows in Sakatchewan going 35lbs plus right now....

Modified Crayfish?........waddya know......west coast freshwater Atlantic lobster......

Triploid Pumpkinseeds going 15lbs?..........food for thought.....
Modified Largemouth and Smallmouth bass that crack the scale at 40lbs plus?......

Ahhh....sweet science......

It's just a matter of time before the scientists find a way to genetically modify Halibut so that they spend their lives in fresh water.

Just think....Halibut from coast to coast in all the big lakes......

They could probably do this with Chinook too....they did it in the Great lakes.

Just think........a Tyee Club at Shuswap lake, Great Slave lake......the list goes on....

Then they can leave us sporties on the coast alone......

How about triploid Kokanee going 20lbs.....see your future, be your future.......

There are triploid Rainbows in Sakatchewan going 35lbs plus right now....

Modified Crayfish?........waddya know......west coast freshwater Atlantic lobster......

Triploid Pumpkinseeds going 15lbs?..........food for thought.....
Modified Largemouth and Smallmouth bass that crack the scale at 40lbs plus?......

Ahhh....sweet science......

Seafever, I expect some of what you said is tongue in cheek.
While genetically modifying the species in the manner you describe is theoretically possible, the environment in whcih they are placed must still support them. You cannot get something for nothing, so there has to be sufficient food to grow those large fish, whether it be halibut or kokanee. I seriously doubt there is enough food in any of the lakes you name, with the exception maybe of the Great Lakes. Even then the hypothetical halibut would have to eat the food other fish, including salmon, are eating. Also halibut are demersel not pelagic fish like salmon and I don't think deep lake bottoms (100+) have anything living there, unlike the ocean. And if you change them still futher to swim only in water <60 feet deep, then they are not halibut.....:confused:

Just reading the posts, and there are salmon in the shuswap. Chinook do make their way in there, so I'm sure there is a tyee club already. Not being cheeky, just sayin......

I can just see the commercial guys, "your honour I know we were given the quoat for free but now its worth only half a million dollars".
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. The artical states mr.malcolm borrowed $514,000 to buy into the industry. Where exactly is the gift in that. Looks like the only group that got another free gift is the lodge and charter sector.

My favourite part is that he is suing becuae when he invested he assumed stability and now that there is a a fracture in his investment he is suing. Man I wish I could sue everytime one of my investments went sideways let alone 3%. A few years back my rrsp's were worth 30% of what I had invested. Guess I should have sued the US for going through a recession and making the markets tank.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. The artical states mr.malcolm borrowed $514,000 to buy into the industry. Where exactly is the gift in that. Looks like the only group that got another free gift is the lodge and charter sector.

Buy into the INDUSTRY not be guaranteed a quota. That money is just the cost of starting a business. Should he be given money if he just doesn't catch anything? What about if the stocks collapse and the industry is shut down? Last time I checked the fish in this country belong to ALL Canadians not just the commies.

I am actually somewhat pleased to see this development. Heard rumors of discussions amongst some of the larger Fish Brokers (quota holders) in this regard earlier this year, but had also heard that Jimmy's Top Dawg Legal Beagle had convinced them to stay away from any such action. The reasons I was cited for doing so were based on a rather large potential for loss in court (precedence setting) and public perception (greed). Looks like this particular fellow is ignoring those warnings...

Bit of a roll of the dice alright. But I fervently hope Jimmy's Law Dawg has it right! A Crash & Burn in Court is one of the very few occurrences that might get the question of allocation back on the discussion table while still under Harpo Et Al's current administration thereof.

Crossed Fingers here Folks! Let's hope The Dino employes the better Legal Team and carries the day!! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

yah'all should read "Four Fish" to get some idea why fish farms can never make it on their own. they all require governments to back them with bucks or they go under. 3# of fish based feed to produce 1# of atlantic salmon cannot stand the test of a stand alone business. the only fish farms that can make it are raising tilapia or cat fish. no need for fish based food for these rapidly growing fish. cut the government subsidisation and the fish farms go away under the weight of their own financial debt.

Let the courts figure out who's right, commercial fishers may come out on top or maybe not. I personally feel if DFO put as much effort into wild salmon as they do helping fish farms, bc might have a viable commercial fishery.

Back