Coho mortality

Derby

Crew Member
Subject: Salmon have been dying mysteriously on the West Coast for years. Scientists think a chemical in tires may be responsible

Salmon have been dying mysteriously on the West Coast for years. Scientists think a chemical in tires may be responsible http://a.msn.com/01/en-ca/BB1bBMnm?ocid=se

Here's a prime example of lack of thought regarding small creeks and fish, particularly Coho. This cleverly designed asphalt chute was put in place after Detweiller Road was re-paved a few months back. That little creek below had numerous Coho juveniles in it when the photo was taken and shows the kind of habitat that is valuable as can be but so often overlooked in planning by engineers. When this photo was sent to the City it received feedback from a representative of the City complaining about the name of the photo, "DetweillerDumbasses". Apparently that was more concerning than the actual act of dumbassedness itself. The accepted remedy by the City was to block it off with sandbags, which seems inadequate to me, but what do I know?

DetweillerDumbasses.jpg

Take care.

probably doesnt matter to the fish whether the runoff goes down this chute or if it goes into a catchbasin or just drains off the side of the road. It all ends up in the watercourse.

I'm wondering if something as simple as construction cloth could catch those tire particles before they enter the waterway.... ?

This is an interesting study
I'm wondering if something as simple as construction cloth could catch those tire particles before they enter the waterway.... ?
Sure, until it plugs up with debris and overflows. Wish it could be so easy aa.
Think what goes down the drain in Victoria ..

I didnt think it would be a onetime fix and walk away, Dave. but at least I believe it'd be fairly cheap, anyways - maybe even effective (if we are lucky). And yes improbable on some discharge points. But those from highways are pretty accessible are they not? Worth testing? yes?

I dont think they are particles. its a soluble molecule that leaches out of the tire particles. If its dissolved it wont be trapped by a filter

It all comes down to money and maintenance. are there technologies that are available on the market yes. Why don't municipalities implement them? money they simply do not want to pay to replace filters.

What's the solution implement a road tax and use the funds to better filter water runoff? increase property tax? Create regulations to prevent automobile manufacturer from using products that can harm the environment? See if its a chemical that can be readily replaced with an affordable alternative?

Its always against the law to discharge into a creek and kill fish so perhaps a lawsuit? legal root always an option to force the hand.

Then off course there is the politics behind all this

good awareness tho funny to see all the people link this when the mainstream media like CNN post it.

Last edited:
I seem to recall a fellow on here speaking about the acidity of streams and their chemical make up having huge effects on fish runs. I also remember quite a few on here shrugging him off, even mocking him. Even some that are commenting on here now. Once again the critical thinker that goes against the mainstream agenda is proven correct.

I dont think they are particles. its a soluble molecule that leaches out of the tire particles. If its dissolved it wont be trapped by a filter
Ya you're right SS - I skimmed the article - its 6PPD-quinone (C18H22N2O2), the oxidized version of 6PPD (C18H24N2), an"Antioxidant" additive for tires. The reported LC50 for 6PPD-quinone is 0.79 +/-.16 ug/L. They tested cities down the states where the amounts are worse during storms and high runoff events and recorded values similar but slightly less than the LC50 amounts. Used tires were also ~4 times more toxic than new ones. I still think it is worth looking at where that suspension into water happens and if filtration of tire particles might help - but I am less hopeful after your comments and reading the report. bad news for sure.

Last edited:
There has been issues with brake pads as well. At least one element in brake pads, copper, is being phased out.

If you travel the new Mckenzie/Admirals/Trans Can over pass they built the filter system on the round about to protect Colquitz creek. I think it was part of the story on the news. The Carbon tax is for projects like this but just a small part and not in all area's to protect fish habitat.

The lead researcher of the study, Dr. Zhenyu Tian from the University of Washington, said the long-term solution is changing the chemical composition of tires, but an easy fix is filtering water from roadways before it reaches streams and creeks with rain gardens or gravel beds.

“If we can identify and prioritize some of those key locations. We can put of these treatment systems there. In the short-term, this will help the coho population to at least survive for a longer time,” said Dr. Tian.

Back