Coho-Killing 6PPD-Q 'The DDT Of Our Generation'

There was another earlier thread about this that may also be of interest:

Two years ago, about the time this info on run-off from roads and what the chemicals it carries do to Coho came out, our city contracted out some paving jobs.
One of them was to re-pave Detweiller Rd., which joins Campbell River Rd. close to the Sandy Pool on the river. That little creek that flows behind a few homes along the roadway enters the Campbell at the Sandy Pool and during high water, attracts Coho salmon which both spawn and rear in it, with the fry spending a year in the creek before heading off.
Imagine my dismay when I turned up Detweiller not long after the paving job was finished and saw this engineered and constructed flume that directs run-off from the road onto the bank about 12 feet above that waterway below, which often teems with Coho fry.
In a city that calls itself the "Salmon Capital Of The World", one might hope the City Engineering Department would have a map of known salmon-bearing creeks and put some thought into preventing things like this.
When contacted about this the first response from a City employee was that they didn't appreciate the name I used when I saved the photo, which was "Detweiller Dumbasses".
I was annoyed when I named it for sure, but thought it funny that their first response was to complain about the name, rather than acknowledging the obvious problem.
Their remedy was to lay three sand bags across the mouth of the flume to hopefully stop any run-off from going down it.
They didn't survive well and last time I looked it was still like in this photo.

Death by a thousand cuts.
DetweillerDumbasses.jpg

Take care.

Not sure what your point is here Dave H. Where do you expect stormwater runoff to go? pretty much all stormwater ends up in creeks, streams, rivers.

Not sure what your point is here Dave H. Where do you expect stormwater runoff to go? pretty much all stormwater ends up in creeks, streams, rivers.

It's not only "stormwater" that runs off roadways and I'm well aware of where most all water ends up, but usually that water has filtered through gravel somewhere along the line.........hopefully.

In this instance someone had the bright idea to create and build a flume designed to carry water from the roadway whenever it rained right above a salmon bearing/rearing creek. Had the water from Detweiller Rd. been allowed to run down to Campbell River Rd. it would then be contained to the very lowest few feet of the creek and somewhat filtered before entering the Campbell at the Sandy Pool.
This scenario shows clearly the roadway run-off being mere feet above the rearing area of the creek.

Note also my last sentence of my earlier post.

"Death by a thousand cuts."

My point in this case is pretty obvious.

Take care.

Following up on the Detweiller Rd. scenario pal Peter and I took a look today, and this is what we found.

Two sandbags off to one side doing absolutely nothing. Don't know how they got there and we didn't move them today.
Left edge of photo.

Here is how the flume looked today, after many days of rain.
One can clearly see how the flow of water has carried leaves down and off the flume onto the bank above the creek.
By the way, that creek is flowing well and about six feet below the end of the flume.
DSCN7053.JPG

Here's a closer look at how leaves carried by run-off get deposited close to the creek.
Probably no more than six feet away from the creek here.

RSCN7055.JPG

Had they allowed the run-off to simply continue down Detweiller onto Campbell River Rd. it would be filtered through gravel and sand before reaching the creek or the river.

This still makes no sense to me at all.

Take care.

Following up on the Detweiller Rd. scenario pal Peter and I took a look today, and this is what we found.

Two sandbags off to one side doing absolutely nothing. Don't know how they got there and we didn't move them today.
Left edge of photo.

Here is how the flume looked today, after many days of rain.
One can clearly see how the flow of water has carried leaves down and off the flume onto the bank above the creek.
By the way, that creek is flowing well and about six feet below the end of the flume.
View attachment 72293

Here's a closer look at how leaves carried by run-off get deposited close to the creek.
Probably no more than six feet away from the creek here.

View attachment 72294

Had they allowed the run-off to simply continue down Detweiller onto Campbell River Rd. it would be filtered through gravel and sand before reaching the creek or the river.

This still makes no sense to me at all.

Take care.

its a good thing for your blood pressure you don’t live in the lowermainland

its a good thing for your blood pressure you don’t live in the lowermainland

Probably.

But this sort of stuff here really irks me too.

sigh.....

Take care.

Back