Coho Caniballistic

Karma-Kazi

I was cleaning one of my coho at the dock and found two large coho grilse in its stomach and just as I was about to say somthing the fellow beside me pulled another out of his fishes stomach. I always look at what they've been eating when I clean them. But I was very shocked about this.

Is this somthing that anyone else has experienced? And how much of an impact do you think it might have on the survival rate of Coho?

-Steve

Sure helped the survival rate of the big one (until you caught it :D)

Its true.......Its true!! Big fish eat little fish!!! :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

wow that is surprising ive always wondered if salmon ate smaller salmon i could see fingerlings but grilse! ive cleaned thousands of salmon {commercial) and never seen or noticed that ,very interesting when i was a kid catching coho on a hot sunny day off qualicum noticed fish were rising and swirling on the surface and there was black carpenter ants everywhere ,we got a few coho ,cleaned them and they were full of big black carpenter ants!

lordofthesprings

Thats what happens when they rape all the herring roe. Poor fish have nothing to eat,they still have openings in Georgia Strait and when's the last time you saw a herring ball out there ?

I couldn't agree more on that one...if no food, then animal need to find something strange or unusual to eat. Same goes to humans, if no food, we have to figure out what to eat in order to survive or die!

Yup, saw Tailspin pull out a couple of eaten coho smolts as well today. Would think that this phenomenon is not so uncommon. But never saw it myself before though.

Have seen coho smolts in coho's stomach several times in the past, some smolts 8 or 9 inches long.

...Rob

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Its true.......Its true!! Big fish eat little fish!!! :D

If its silver an swimmin a ho will eat it..........

X2 brisco.

Seen it many times guttin springers on the com boat and maybe once in a ho...

Take that Charlie [}:)]....... Its not all those diseases that you speak about............. its their own causing their demise
:D:D

Only see it with Coho, but quite a few times over the years.

Back