Coast Reels DT1?

I dono if that's a great reason to give up on them. I'm not a dr1 owner but I have had 2 tr3 reels have issues in the first couple days of use this year (out of four tr3s total). I didn't give up on those. I fixed or had them fixed and moved on. None of the reels are flawless (I spun a paddle handle off a tr3 yesterday randomly). I'd just ask hc to loctite the screws and re spool it. Pretty small problem.

Yeah it is a small problem. but doesn’t instil confidence in the product and not what I expect for the money spent. It’s a problem I’ve never experienced with any of my other reels, especially after the second use. I’m glad I didn’t have a monster spring on, the reel was about to fall off. Have a great night,good luck out there!

I can understand your concern, first time owning a Coast reel.
I have been using them for almost 10 years with very minimal repairs.
A broken tiny clicker spring years ago, factory sent me a few spares right
after my email. Another buddy also had a loose reel foot and Neil from Coast
was all over it, even offered him an immediate replacement. Lots of us in
Winter Harbour have been using them exclusively and I’m slowly getting rid
of all my non-Coast reels. I’ve never replaced a bearing and the drags don't
creep……. super smooth drag etc. Good luck going forward!
Best value on the market in my opinion.

Neil here from Milroy, (Coast Reels). I am so sorry to hear of your issues with our reel. I must admit we have had a few QC issues this year. One is missed Loctite, the other is some reels the silicone was missed on the cork for the drag. I really hope you give us a chance to remedy things for you as we truly believe these are the best reels on the market. If you like you can bring your reels directly to Milroy, (564 John Street, Victoria BC) or return them to Harbour Chandlers and we will take care of things at no cost to you.

To address this issue of creep in Coast Reels. The earlier versions do have some creep as the drag is to smooth. Later versions should have no creep. Though the drag is still super smooth.
I have 4 coast reels....love em and endorse them anytime someone asks about them.
2 have no creep but need clicks and springs after about a thousand fish. Can I swing by for parts or service?

These Coast reels were originally made by the 2 guys that owned Wise Buys Tackle in Colwood. Good reel. Who makes them now? Same guys, or someone else? My concern would be how long will this manufacturer be around for to provide repair service and parts?

Case in point - I have a Forged Fly Fishing Monarch mooching reel. Well built, great drag - no line creep, my favorite reel, but they no longer make it and there are no replacement parts so it may end up having a limited useful lifespan. Something to consider when buying an expensive reel.

If I were buying a new mooching reel I would check out the Amundson Trend TMX5
The reels are made by Milroy Engineering Ltd. in Victoria. Parts are always available. You can purchase reels at Trotac and Harbour Chandlers. They were designed in partnership with Wise Buys. Still the best mooching reel on the market!

I just bought a new coast reel from harbour chandler .I have multiple islanders and able reels, but I thought I’d try one of these new reels out. I only fished it a couple of times and the reel seat came loose, guess they didn’t use any lock tight when assembling. The one time I didn’t bring a spare rod and reel. I could have tightened the screws up, but I would have had to take all of my brand new line and backing off that I just paid to have put on, and I didn’t have any lock tight handy. I fished the rest of the day with one rod. I hope they take this reel back, I’ll just buy another islander. I have no confidence in this product, disappointed
Dear Salmonslayer, I am so sorry to hear. This is obviously an issue in assemble. Of all the reels out there this is the first time this has happened. Please feel free to contact is to see what we can do. 250-418-8555. Ask for Neil.

I had a pair of Coast reels in the first year that they came out. At the time I assumed that Collin at Wise Buys was the guy and when they closed I had no idea if I'd ever find parts for them again...not knowing that Milroy was the manufacture at the time I decided to sell them before I needed any parts. I really loved them. Super smooth, quick pick-up and just sounded great. Later on I wished that I had kept them as I found out through a friend that Milroy was the MFG and that parts are easily available. Good reels, great guys making them and realy good dependable service.

Last edited:
Back