Coast Guard asks boaters, pilots to use digital fr

Sushihunter

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-cb-puerto-rico-coast-guard,0,3432517.story

Coast Guard asks boaters, pilots to use digital frequencies; will no longer respond to analog

Associated Press
7:18 PM EST, January 21, 2009

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The U.S. Coast Guard says it will no longer respond to distress calls sent by analog signal starting Feb. 1.

The agency is switching to digital frequencies and says the new equipment cannot process signals transmitting on 121.5 or 243.0 MHz.

The Coast Guard said Wednesday in a statement that the switch to digital will provide a more stable and powerful signal that could improve response times.

The agency said mariners and aviators should upgrade their equipment to include a digital 406-MHz distress radio beacon and register it online.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Thanks for this info. I have a question for you.

I have a VHF that is 3 years old that has DSC capability and I have registered it with DOT.

Is it right to assume that my VHF uses digital signals and that it is compliant with the requirement that you mention about "a digital 406-MHz distress radio beacon and register it online."? Or do I need to upgrade or change something?

Thanks for your response.

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

Thanks for this info. I have a question for you.

I have a VHF that is 3 years old that has DSC capability and I have registered it with DOT.

Is it right to assume that my VHF uses digital signals and that it is compliant with the requirement that you mention about "a digital 406-MHz distress radio beacon and register it online."? Or do I need to upgrade or change something?

Thanks for your response.

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

My reading of this is that a DSC equipped VHF radio will have you covered.

The 406 MHz beacons are a stand-alone system designed to self deploy in the event of sinking. Good things to have in addition to a VHF Marine radio.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Hi Guys , I think that this change is for epirbs , not VHF.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...acon002957-boat-owners-urged-switch-digital-/

I believe that you are correct.

121.5 is an Air frequency for emergency use while 243. is the military equivilant.

That said, anyone who boats on the West Coast should have a VHF Marine Radio with DSC. If you can hook it up to a GPS, so much the better.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

quote:The 406 MHz beacons are a stand-alone system designed to self deploy in the event of sinking.

So, What should I get for a non-sinkning type boat?

1056142621_14faffd9f5.jpg

Take only what you need.

It's a whaler.. they don't sink.. If I was flooded to the water line, I could park my truck on it and it still wouldn't sink [:p]

Take only what you need.

No doubt you are aware of the special precautions when drilling holes to bolt on equipment.
You are right unsinkable. The ad for Boston Whalers used to be 3 guys in a boat and they cut the boat in3 pieces and one guy was in each piece.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

I have to clarify this..I am a commercial pilot and this is directly from our manuals..
"On Feb 1st 2009, Cospas-sarsat satellites will no longer hear distress signals on 121.5/234Mhz emergency beacon. Cospas-Sarsat satellites will only recognize signals from 406Mhz emergency beacons"

All aircraft have been converted and as pilots we will be no longer required to monitor 121.5 when we have a free radio.

I have to clarify this..I am a commercial pilot and this is directly from our manuals..
"On Feb 1st 2009, Cospas-sarsat satellites will no longer hear distress signals on 121.5/234Mhz emergency beacon. Cospas-Sarsat satellites will only recognize signals from 406Mhz emergency beacons"

All aircraft have been converted and as pilots we will be no longer required to monitor 121.5 when we have a free radio.

More infor..
"Emergency Position Indication radio beacons(EPIRB) are required on ships/fishing vessels/tugs above a certain size as outlined in the Canada shippng act. EPRIB'S activate automatically when they come in contact with water or float away from their carrier and also can be activated manually. ONLY 406 Mhz EPRBs can be used in Canada. They must be registered with the Canadian Beacon Registryto ensure the owners name , vessel details and emergency contact info are available in the event of a distress alert.
VESSELS NOT RQUIRED BY LAW ARE ENCOURAGED TO DO SO VOLUNTARILY."

For more info and how to register.....
www.nss.gc.ca

I hope this helps to clarify

More infor..
"Emergency Position Indication radio beacons(EPIRB) are required on ships/fishing vessels/tugs above a certain size as outlined in the Canada shippng act. EPRIB'S activate automatically when they come in contact with water or float away from their carrier and also can be activated manually. ONLY 406 Mhz EPRBs can be used in Canada. They must be registered with the Canadian Beacon Registryto ensure the owners name , vessel details and emergency contact info are available in the event of a distress alert.
VESSELS NOT RQUIRED BY LAW ARE ENCOURAGED TO DO SO VOLUNTARILY."

For more info and how to register.....
www.nss.gc.ca

I hope this helps to clarify

Back