Coal Harbour\Holberg area

Scott2010

Heading to Coal Harbour at the end of September and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area. I see there is a hatchery at the eastern end of Rupert Inslet, how is the beach fishing for Coho there? Has anyone tried the beach in Holberg? Going up to have a look regardless, gonna hike into Cape Scott a bit. If the fishing sucks, I will try closer to Hardy. Any tips at all are greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Scott

Scott,

You should have some luck in Rupert Inlet, should be some decent coho in the area during that time. See lots of guys fishing from the beach or float tubbing around near the shore, light tackle it can be a lot of fun. Not sure up Holberg Inlet, haven't fished up there myself and have not heard of many that do.

Cheers and good luck

It's pretty shallow in the estuary but may be worth a peak at low tide, but there's probably better options within an hours drive. I haven't been up there for 15 years (I tree planted up there a few winters) but there was a motel just as you got into town on the left and the son of the owner knew the local scene pretty good.
Pop into the Scarlet Ibus for some great pub food

Not much for fishing in Holberg, big silty flats with a lot of braids. If you have access to a boat, you can fish the mouth of Goodspeed River. Rupert Inlet is where the action can be good for shore fishing, but getting access was getting harder and harder as most of the inlet is private land. These fish can drive you nuts; jumping all around you, yet nothing will bite.

Good luck.

Cheers

SS

Dependent upon what time you're there, I'd check right in Coal Harbour at first light. If the Coho are jumping in front of the Stephen creek (south side of the bay), you can hit them well with a perch pattern zinger. Try them on a light rod (trout gear) for a heck of a fight. I hooked into roughly a 10lb chum there once too, tonnes of fight.

No real boat access, but might bring a float tube. Don't think I'll bother with the canoe. I appreciate the advice, I will certainly provide an update once I return. Maybe the rivers will open by then?

Cheers, Scott

Back