Clutesi or China Creek?

Sharphooks

I'm planning a one week trip to Barkley Sound tail end of August. In the past, I've either launched in Uke and stored truck and trailer at Island West or launched at China Creek and done the P.A. Inlet to Bamfield trip via boat

What's the scoop on Clutesi---easier then China Creek or about the same? Any issues on going up and down the Somass on a low or minus tide?

Never liked the dirt road into China nor what seemed like disorganized launches and retrievals at their ramp (especially during sox season!) --Clutesi seemed better managed when I put in and pulled out just to do a rinse a few years ago but I've never stored a truck and trailer or gone down the Somass

Thanks for the good, the bad and the ugly on both approaches, Gents

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem navigating the river in low or even minus tides but launching and retrieving on those tides can be an adventure and it's not for the faint of heart. The current in the river causes an eddy in the launch at low tides and some guys lose control when they move from the river to the fingers. You also need to be prepared to grab a fist full of throttle when entering the river from the launch in order to clear the outside staging dock. Unless you are launching/retrieving on derby weekend it's really not very busy so you can take your time and do it safely. With the new ford dealer on beaver creek road, parking has been significantly reduced so take a quick drive around before launching and make sure there's a spot to park. At high tide there's a lot of room on the middle finger for lanes 2 and 3 however, lanes 1 and 4 have no walkway at higher tides so it's power load only in 1 and 4 at that point.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

Why not launch in Ukee again? The new launch by the float plane terminal is pretty good and the campground is near by. It never seems full.

Clutesi can be an absolute s&^t show if the FN are netting in the river and it is the end of a week end; I would go to Ukee as you have in the past and use the free ramp, parking right there; nice new dock; not very busy and you will drive for the same amount of time as you will spend running the canal. Seems simple to do what you have in the past and enjoy a scenic drive; they have also done some recent paving in some of the bad spots; but of course not in all of them so it can still be a little bumpy in a few spots; I drag my 2870 up and will continue just so I don't have to deal with the nightmare at Clutesi.

I used Clutesi ramp regularly....no issues at all....but low tide with ebb can be dangerous...boaters need to be prepared to run out of the launch dock nicely and safely. At times, I have seen boats engines stalled, lose control, ram other boats or drift down the river. I like going out when the tide is high. Yes, I wish that the road is fully paved into China Creek but it s expensive to pave thou.

Thinking Aug 27 through Sept 3

Did that same timing four or five years ago and got pretty good fishing for springs

Hoping to do that again this year but I always worry about chasing springs in September---too late?

sharphooks: The spring fishing in Barkley Sound is usually consistent and good to the end of the first week of September. After that time the fishing can be good but the fish will be on the move so you may have to follow the school into the sound or locate another pocket of fish entering the surfline on the next flood tide. I have had great fishing for mature chinooks as late as Sept. 17th but it can also be very scratchy at that time as well, especially if there has been substantial rain.

...Rob

Yo, thanks for that Rob, and everyone else--much appreciated.

Decided to pull the trailer to Uke---put the hours on the truck motor instead of the outboard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back