Climate Change Forcing Fish, Like Halibut, NORTH!!

Very interesting. Also interesting to note how the Americans have already placed a moratorium on new commercial fishing in the Arctic but no such precautionary approach by Canada.

Very interesting. Also interesting to note how the Americans have already placed a moratorium on new commercial fishing in the Arctic but no such precautionary approach by Canada.
They are too busy finding old ships off the bottom. Where are your priorities, cuttlefish? Lol

What's not clear to me are whether new migratory routes are being established by salmon. Are some of the depleting stocks here simply shifting their migratory routing? Meaning......... the declines we see may at least be in part to the relocation of runs elsewhere?

What's not clear to me are whether new migratory routes are being established by salmon. Are some of the depleting stocks here simply shifting their migratory routing? Meaning......... the declines we see may at least be in part to the relocation of runs elsewhere?

I would say runs are not relocating elsewhere - at least at this point I have not seen any definitive evidence of this. Straying does happen, but not to that extreme, in my opinion. This season water temperatures in the ocean are being implicated as the reason why Fraser Sockeye diverted almost completely (as high as 99%) through Johnstone Strait. Typically, the diversion rate fluctuates with as much of half the Fraser Sockeye going south through the Strait of Juan de Fuca, but not this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
This pretty much sums it up for me. I have zero faith in any of these "mathematical models".

"Using a combination of three different mathematical models and the latest climate data, he forecast the probable distribution of 802 commercially exploited fish species. Those species include commonly harvested fish such as cod, tuna, herring and halibut."

This pretty much sums it up for me. I have zero faith in any of these "mathematical models".

"Using a combination of three different mathematical models and the latest climate data, he forecast the probable distribution of 802 commercially exploited fish species. Those species include commonly harvested fish such as cod, tuna, herring and halibut."

Mathematical models are behind much of what we use daily in life. If you don't have any faith in mathematical models, I'd suggest you don't drive over any bridges nor go up in any tall buildings.

I wonder if they factored any deviation of Ocean currents! I suspect that they must have eliminated that impact, as it would have a more drastic influence than Global Warming?

Mathematical models are behind much of what we use daily in life. If you don't have any faith in mathematical models, I'd suggest you don't drive over any bridges nor go up in any tall buildings.

As it pertains to fisheries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back