cleaning the stink off old tomics

kingblazer84

Hey guys I have some old tomics I got from a buddy, they have been sitting in his grandfathers tackle box for what seems like eons! they stink to high heaven of bad plastic.

whats the cheap trick out there to clean em up where the odor is gone!?! Ive heard luke warm water with a little dish soap, but ive also heard that it contaminates them with the smell of the soap...?

Fresh air should have them ready to roll for next summer
Maybe watered down fish scent for a couple hours first?
And... here’s also that thread about scent free hand wash.
Maybe scrub them with the anise wash, then soak them then air them out.

Last edited:
Try a few drops of Nil-Odor in warm water. It comes in a tiny green bottle. Highly recommended by a few old salts to me.Don't seem to bother the fish in my experience. Try Safeway etc. in laundry section. eman;)

Hey guys I have some old tomics I got from a buddy, they have been sitting in his grandfathers tackle box for what seems like eons! they stink to high heaven of bad plastic.

whats the cheap trick out there to clean em up where the odor is gone!?! Ive heard luke warm water with a little dish soap, but ive also heard that it contaminates them with the smell of the soap...?

they're no good buddy :eek:, you better drop them off here before you head out on the lake saturday :rolleyes:

Toothpaste (or baking soda & vinegar) will clean up old scuff marks and smells as well-then wash with dish soap and hang to dry-leave them up somewhere for a few weeks.

Don't put lipstick in a pig.buy a new one from Tomic ,there must be more resons to goto Griv.Just becarefull of the ones that fish well and don'l crack them with a fish club.

I'd be cautious with the Nil Odor. We used to use it on aircraft carpets to get rid of the vomit smell after a particularly bumpy flight. I think it was better at masking, than removing odours. It has a very strong chemical smell.
I've had success soaking old flashers in a baking soda & water mix.
I use baking soda on my hands to remove scents, before handling gear. I mix it up in a Gator Aid bottle & keep it on the boat all the time. Seems to work.

Back