cleaning table etiquette

tubber

How does one politely offer dressing and filleting tips to know-it-alls at the cleaning table? I got so ticked off watcing people turn 20 lb fish into 2 shabby 4 lb filets on my recent trip that I had to walk away before I started insulting anyone. One guy cut the head off square behind the front fins, then dressed it, then cut off a good chunk of the belly from the vent all the way to the head end, then cut off the tail about 2 inches in front of the tail. He then proceeded to hack it into filets. The skeleton could have fed a family of six with all the meat left on it. I thought maybe he was at least going to use the parts for bait for his traps and halibut, but of course he chucked them into the water for the seals. It was painful to see, especially when he had more and better fish in his box than I did. Sour grapes I guess.

I started biting my tongue at the gutting table after one gentleman wanted to fight me when I pointed out (politely)that the 2 fish he was cleaning were 18 lb chum, not coho. Now I just watch and smile.
T2

Back