Chinook Openings!

I’m thankful to those who worked hard on our behalf and navigated through this political maze.

However, there’s almost nothing in the new announcement for the mainland fishermen and fisherwomen. Unless you have the boat and you’re willing to buy $2/L gas and go across the pond, there’s no local opportunity for us in July and August. I know about the coho and pink fisheries but that’s not what I’m fishing for when I take my family out with me. I’m pretty sure the local guides here in Vancouver aren’t going to call this a win either.
August 1st area 29 3 and 29 4 one Chinook per day. Sept 1 2 per day

Id say that's progress from last year absolutely

Here they come.

If they really wanted to do some damage with the general public, the story would have a photo of a Fishing Guide's huge catch.
Not all guides do it but those who do it in search of more business are doing the Sport Fishing industry great harm.
Geez I wish the guides would stop posting these photos with large multiple salmon catches lying on the dock or their deck.

August 1st area 29 3 and 29 4 one Chinook per day. Sept 1 2 per day

Id say that's progress from last year absolutely

That's not my understanding of the recent regs. My read is that we can only retain a chinook <80Cm in those portions of areas 29-3, 29-4 that are on the WEST side of the red line and the rest of those two areas (pretty much 90% of 29-3 & 4) on the east side of that line are CLOSED to chinook fishing until Sep 1st. Am I missing something here or we're looking at "alternate facts" here?

1625757445009.png
SUBAREAS 29-1 to 29-5:

CHINOOK FISHING CLOSURE:

Effective April 1 until August 31, 2021 the following areas closed to fishing for Chinook:

-Those portions of Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 that lie east of a line from Gower Point (49°23.021’N, 123°32.166’ W) near Gibsons to Shah Point on the southern tip of Valdes Island (49°01.695’N, 123°35.721’W).

SUBAREAS 29-1 to 29-2 - daily quota and size restrictions:

-Effective 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

SUBAREAS 29-3 to 29-5 - daily quota and size restrictions (excluding those closed and non-retention areas/periods listed above):

-Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

REMINDER: Chinook minimum size limit is 62 cm in Subareas 29-1 to 29-5.

Thats how I read it too Ringo. I only have a 15' boat so these regs do nothing for me. September 1 misses the bulk of the chinook run at the Fraser mouth.

I wish they would just make a list. I think your right. Because of the new boundary that cuts into 29 3 and 29 4 is why they have an opening. Way to make it confusing

well I take it all back. No progress

I wish they would just make a list. I think your right. Because of the new boundary that cuts into 29 3 and 29 4 is why they have an opening. Way to make it confusing

well I take it all back. No progress
There might be some positive changes for folks on the east side of the island but definitely not for us mainlanders. The bulk of the run will already be up the river and in natives nets by the time we get to fish the river's mouth. :confused:

If they really wanted to do some damage with the general public, the story would have a photo of a Fishing Guide's huge catch.
Not all guides do it but those who do it in search of more business are doing the Sport Fishing industry great harm.
Geez I wish the guides would stop posting these photos with large multiple salmon catches lying on the dock or their deck.

1625775665060.png

You know what's funny is they have left area 28 blank. A bird came by and said something about squam FN and a threat to the feds about sportfishing.

I could have lived with Aug 1st one a day. At least it gives a chance for the guys with small boats and the local guides Not having to burn twice the fuel.

You know what's funny is they have left area 28 blank. A bird came by and said something about squam FN and a threat to the feds about sportfishing.

I could have lived with Aug 1st one a day. At least it gives a chance for the guys with small boats and the local guides Not having to burn twice the fuel.
Good observation. That announcement for area 28 (West Van only) may still come out but this gives more credibility to the theory that the PMO is coordinating and deciding on our fishing opportunities.

Our beardless boy was in Coquitlam today, surrounded by Horgan and a bunch of local politicians. You definitely wouldn't want the FNs to rain on your parade if you're starting your soft election campaign.

This interview myself and Jason Assonitis did with the Squamish Chief early this year was republished yesterday as the cover story in Pique Newspaper. See attached pdf. Clearly shows NGO's have us in their scope with Raincoast's Misty MacDuffee's comments. Don't kid yourself we're great for target to hit for fundraising for NGO's and political gain by supporters of this type fisheries management, that we should all speak out loudly against!

Attachments

• Pique Newsmagazine Story July 8, 2021-small file.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
It's going to get very ugly in next few weeks. The attacks on rec fishing are very targeted across social media and coordinated. I expect to see a lot of noise.

Now as a result we are going to be the only one at the table facing three angry groups. I almost feel DFO wants us out of the way by the move. You can see the resentment rising up with the commercial fishing sector.

Not good times.

with the easing restrictions, can we not organize a gathering in Vancouver and Victoria and present the facts, as they are, to the public? Doesn't make sense to sit back and watch this sham. There's almost nothing left for us sporties so how much more can they milk us for that extra funding?

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0650-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook - Northeast Vancouver Island - Areas 11/111 to 17 - Effective July 15, 2021

This notice advises fishers of the recreational Chinook fishing opportunities for Areas 11/111 to 17, effective July 15, 2021.

For all areas, any in-season changes or terminal opportunities based on abundance will be announced by subsequent Fishery Notice(s). Fishers are reminded to check the DFO website before they go fishing for current regulations in effect that day.

The minimum size limit for Chinook Salmon in these waters is 62 cm unless stated different below.

Queen Charlotte Strait and Johnstone Strait (Area 12, excluding Subarea 12-14):

- 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 16: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

- 00:01 hours August 17 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit

- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit

For clarity, Chinook daily limits remain at two (2) per day in Area 11/111 and Subarea 12-14, with a minimum size limit of 45 cm.

Strait of Georgia – North - Areas 13 to 17 (excluding those portions listed below) and Subareas 29-1 and 29-2:

- 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day

Area 13 (Campbell River Special Management Zone):

In Subareas 13-3 and 13-5, those waters of Discovery Passage and Campbell River inside of a line starting at the fishing boundary sign at Orange Point located at 50°04.392’ north latitude by 125°16.608’ west longitude, then northeasterly to a point in the middle of the channel located at 50°04.392’ north latitude by 125°15.510’ west longitude, then southeasterly to a point located at 50°00.507’ north latitude by 125°12.859’ west longitude, then southwesterly to the fishing boundary sign on the southern end of Hidden Harbour breakwater located at 50°00.504’ north latitude by125°13.945’ west longitude.

- 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.
Reminder these waters are subject to other restrictions to fishing gear (all of the CRSMZ) and motoring (Tyee Pool) in certain areas. Please check your local regulations and 2021-22 tidal water Conditions of Licence for more details, or contact your local DFO office.

Subarea 16-5 and that portion of Subarea 16-6 south of a line from Nine Mile Point true west to a boundary marker on the opposite shore [Sechelt Inlet and Porpoise Bay]:

- 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a minimum size limit of 41 cm.

Area 14:

Additional measures to protect Puntledge Summer Chinook are anticipated for portions of Area 14 and details will be provided by Fishery Notice.

Variation Orders: 2021-RFQ-0344, 2021-RCT-347

Coast-wide Recreational Fisheries:

For the recreational fishery, the annual aggregate limit for Chinook salmon is ten (10) in all tidal waters coast-wide.

Variation Order: 2021-RFQ-094

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.

The term “marked”, "hatchery marked", or “adipose fin clipped” means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labeling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped Chinook and Coho Salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program toll free at 1-866-483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCAs) are currently in effect and are closed to all fin-fishing. Descriptions of RCAs, other closures such as finfish closed areas and salmon non-retention areas, and other recreational fishing information, can be found on the Internet at: href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish">www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish
The Government of Canada recognizes that Southern Resident Killer Whales face imminent threats to their survival and recovery. On April 14, 2021, the Government announced a suite of management measures to be implemented this summer that help address the key threats of reduced prey availability (primarily Chinook salmon), and acoustic and physical disturbance. These measures include salmon fishery closures, Interim Sanctuary Zones that restrict vessels from entering (including fishing), minimum vessel approach distances and a number of voluntary measures including to stop fishing (do not haul gear) within 1,000 metres of killer whales and let them pass. For more information about the 2021 management measures, please visit href="https://www.canada.ca/southern-resident-killer-whales">https://www.canada.ca/southern-resident-killer-whales or contact the Marine Mammal Team at href="mailto:DFO.SRKW-ERS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca">DFO.SRKW-ERS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or by email at href="mailto:DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca">DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at 1-866-431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Erika Watkins, ECVI Recreational Fisheries Manager, href="mailto:Erika.Watkins@dfo-mpo.gc.ca">Erika.Watkins@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Or contact your local DFO office: href="http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/contact/regions/pacific-pacifique-eng.html">http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/contact/regions/pacific-pacifique-eng.html

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0650
Sent July 6, 2021 at 09:39
Visit us on the Web at href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: href="http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription">http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription
If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: href="mailto:DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca">DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca
Don’t see 121 , 123 offshore any idea??? DFO site is crapped out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711-185323_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-185323_Samsung Internet.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210711-185219_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-185219_Samsung Internet.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210711-185225_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-185225_Samsung Internet.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210711-185412_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-185412_Samsung Internet.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210711-185422_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-185422_Samsung Internet.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210711-185503_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-185503_Samsung Internet.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 20

Attachments

• 0CB9D613-481B-452A-87F4-74883DB7C2F1.png
    0CB9D613-481B-452A-87F4-74883DB7C2F1.png
    292 KB · Views: 8
Not working for me either. They've been trying to upload more restrictions for sporties and their server has crashed under the load! :p

Alaska

With reduced bag limit, ADF&G puts brakes on Southeast sport fishing for king salmon​

“Things are not looking good for our wild king salmon stocks (in Alaska),” said Tydingco. “We’re struggling to meet our escapement goals on the mainland rivers, and we’re predicting that most — if not all — are going to be below the lower bound of our escapement goal.”

Back