Charter Operators....

richmake

Up in Port Hardy we've had alot of guy's calling themselves charter boats without proper insurance and proper commercial licences and inspections done on there boats.
A small group of us have been talking to transport canada about this issue but I'm looking for input from various forums on the subject.
Alot of the Transport Canada info is vague but it does clearly state that in order to operate as a commercial charter vessel...you have to a least have a proper commercial licence on your boat....or you do not meet current requirements.
no K numbers anymore
C........BC

I am not a charter operator myself, but I can definitely understand why legit operators should be upset.

This is a probem not unique to fishing charters. Ticketed tradespeople being undercut by hacks and moonlighters come to mind.

quote:Originally posted by richmake

Up in Port Hardy we've had alot of guy's calling themselves charter boats without proper insurance and proper commercial licences and inspections done on there boats.
A small group of us have been talking to transport canada about this issue but I'm looking for input from various forums on the subject.

I'll ask the question again... What is it that you're looking for???

In order to get input, a question needs to be asked. [?] [?] [?]

Frankly, the DOT and me were business partners for the better part of 20 years. I didn't care for their ideology or the beat of the drum they marched to. IMO the ministry tends to favour big business (easier to manage) and fly's under the guise of 'public safety' to justify the cash cow that they represent - They're ALL about generating revenue.

Needless to say, I cut them loose and tend to want to stay that way. You can have em.

Is this the input that you seek?

I'd say that if you're wanting to expand, do it ASAP. Right now they are running around in circles trying to figure out what's what. But plan on them realizing that this is starting to cost big $$$ and that they'll want to try to make it up.

Spot/random inspections and PITA infractions will be coming. Right now the ministry is trying to promote itself as public life guards... Thus trying to come off as being 'friends' of the industry. Not much different than an out of towner wanting GPS #'s. ;)

Just remember that this is now a political puppet show and don't lose sight of who pulls the strings. In a couple of short years, things will look very different (that's my prediction).

Good luck with your endeavours.

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Dean

Spot/random inspections and PITA infractions will be coming. Right now the ministry is trying to promote itself as public life guards... Thus trying to come off as being 'friends' of the industry. Not much different than an out of towner wanting GPS #'s. ;)

I myself have not been checked, but a lot of guys on this site have been. I hope it starts to thin the ranks of the weekend warriors myself, it is easier to get a drivers license then it is to become a guide.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I myself have not been checked, but a lot of guys on this site have been. I hope it starts to thin the ranks of the weekend warriors myself, it is easier to get a drivers license then it is to become a guide.

Why? Is it a competition thing?

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Dean

Why? Is it a competition thing?

Actually no, try to book with guide this year, we are running pretty much full at full capacity where I fish (Port Renfrew). I am more worried about some inexperienced and under equipped overturned "charter" boat appearing on the news with a dead family trapped underneath it, and then REALLY having the regs clamped down on what we do.

As for competition, well, for guys who try to collar guys guests at the cleaning table for less then half of what the going rate for a trip costs, business is business I suppose, it is not really a problem.

And I absolutley mean no offense to the hundreds of operators out there who still run K numbers, and take safety and the quality of their work seriously, I can just think of a few boats I see that would FLUNK what passes for that joke of inspection we have to go through on our boats. And these guys do not bob-around in Saanich Inlet, they are out on the banks, in fog, far away from any help, dodging ships, etc etc.

As a user of charters, I would think a lot of the inspection/regisraton would be impacted by the ability to obtain liability insurance. If the insurance company would use the lack of having a charter licence as a reason for not issuing or covering you with insurance, that would be a major reason to have the inspection and licence.

I would not go out with a charter that is not properly insured and that does not carry liability insurance. As for the charter operator I couldn't imagine anyone exposing themselved to the possibility of having to personally defend and pay a liability suit. That would be risking everything you have or might ever have because of not having the proper documents.

I can see the point about real peice of $hit boats... But fom my past dealings with the MOT, I don't feel that they'll ever focus on the 'underworld' outfits hard enough to make a dent. They'll likely turn it over to the RCMP and when a guy is checked, all he's doin is taking out some friends fishing. Not unlike what has been goin on w/ the American outfits working local waters. And we all know how well that is prospering.

I think that the ministry will go on with how they historicly have and that is to nit-pic the hell out of the operators that they have licensed because they are easy to find. When these operators get fed up and holler FOWL, the ministry will come back waving the flag of "we do it in the name of public safety". In the end, the POS boats still do what they do, the folks that comply will continue to be muddled up with confusing/contradictory regulations and the ministry demonstrates need for this new venture of theirs via the infractions that get handed out to the licensed operators. The only one that wins in the end, is them (MOT).

It would work but only if the world was perfect... It's not. It's clear to me that people are now drawing lines in the sand. Some so deep that I'm questioning what would happen if a player from one 'team' found themselves in a distress situation - Would a member of the other team lend aid, or would he turn his back and turn off the volume? Just how much safer are we making the waters with these new regulations?? Is it really worth it???

Back