Canning your catch

Waiting on your review fs. Good score on the Presto. That's something you can share with your family. Enjoy.;) eman

Very tasty. A little dry but might moisten us as it sits and oils and water go back in fish. I packed tight but loosely with a inch of head room as I was afraid of exploding jars. Alot of water seemed to come out. Also the white protein stuff isnt to attractive. One tray of chips seems prefect amount of smoke. Definitely would be better with fat spring chunks. Going to try that right now!

Only time I could find was 100 mins for 1 pint. Im wondering if I could do less..? Im happy and think its a great investment.

Very tasty. A little dry but might moisten us as it sits and oils and water go back in fish. I packed tight but loosely with a inch of head room as I was afraid of exploding jars. Alot of water seemed to come out. Also the white protein stuff isnt to attractive. One tray of chips seems prefect amount of smoke. Definitely would be better with fat spring chunks. Going to try that right now!

Only time I could find was 100 mins for 1 pint. Im wondering if I could do less..? Im happy and think its a great investment.
I think your timing is right on -the dryness is because of smoking-I stopped actually smoking before hand and just add a drop or 2 of liquid smoke before canning-same taste, less work, no dryness.

im pretty sure the dryness is from cooking the living **** out of the salmon. An hour and half!! the salmon was still basically raw when it went into the jars. It had just turn light colored but would not break apart.

You can change the recipe, but canNOT lessen that prcessing time. You won't kill the bacteria. It is the same processing time for both - 100 mins. An hour and a half (ninety minutes) is not enough processing time!

Maybe this will help:

How to Use a Pressure Canner,
Step by Step
1. Wash jars, lids and screw bands in hot, soapy water. Rinse well.

2. Place rack in the pressure canner and place jars on the rack. Fill jars halfway with water and add 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 cm) of water to the canner. Bring water to a simmer (180°F/82°C) over medium heat and maintain the simmer until you're ready to use the jars. Do not boil.

Note: When preserving chilled foods, such as fish, do not heat jars or water in canner prior to filling the jars. (Raw-packed vegetables are placed in hot jars as they must be covered with hot liquid.)

3. Set screw bands aside. Place lids in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer (180°F/82°C) over medium heat. Keep lids hot until you're ready to use them. Do not boil.

4. Prepare recipe. Working with one jar at a time, remove jar from canner, pouring hot water back into canner. Place the jar on a protected work surface (see page 414). If using, place funnel in jar. Ladle prepared food into jar, leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) headspace. Slide a nonmetallic utensil, such as a rubber spatula, down between food and the inside of the jar several times to release air bubbles.

Low-acid foods require I -inch (2.5 cm) headspace Adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot food and/or liquid. With a clean damp cloth or paper towel, wipe jar rim and threads. (For meat, fish, soups, etc., dampen the cloth with diluted vinegar to help remove any fat that may be on the rim.) Center hot lid on jar and screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight. Return jar to canner rack and repeat until all jars are filled.

5. When all jars are filled, adjust water level in canner as directed by the manufacturer. Place lid on canner and lock it into place. Leave weight off vent pipe. Over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. (You'll know the water is boiling when steam starts coming out of the vent in a steady stream.) Vent steam from the canner for 10 minutes. Place weight on vent.

6. If using a weighted-gauge pressure canner at altitudes at or below 1,000 feet (305 m) above sea level, bring pressure to 10 lbs (69 kPa). (If using a dial-gauge canner and/or canning in higher-altitude areas, refer to the Low-Acid Altitude Adjustment Chart, opposite.) After the gauge indicates that the recommended pressure level has been reached, begin counting the processing time. Regulate heat slowly but continuously to maintain pressure without necessitating drastic changes to the heat level.

7. When processing time is complete, turn off heat and let canner cool naturally. During this time, the canner will become depressurized and pressure will return to zero. (Follow the canner manufacturer's guidelines to determine when the pressure has returned to zero.) Do not remove the weight from the vent until the canner is completely cooled and pressure has returned to zero.

8. When the pressure has returned to zero, wait 2 additional minutes, then remove the weight from the vent. Unlock and remove lid, making sure that the steam escapes away from you. Let jars sit in the canner for 10 minutes to adjust to the lower temperature in the room.

9. Remove jars from canner, without tilting. Place jars upright, 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) apart, on a dry towel or wooden cutting board in a draft-free place and let cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. Do not tighten screw bands if they have loosened during processing.

10. After 24 hours, check lids for seal. Remove screw bands and press down on the center of each lid with your finger. Sealed lids will be concave (they'll curve downward) and will show no movement when pressed (for more information, see page 418). Jars that haven't sealed properly must be refrigerated or reprocessed immediately (see page 418). Rinse and dry screw bands. Wipe jars and, if desired, loosely reapply screw bands. Label jars and store in a cool, dry, dark place (see page 418).

Seafood
Prepare fish for home canning as you would for cooking. Leave the backbone in small fish and debone larger fish. Soak fish in a salt-water brine before canning. Because seafood and fish are very low in acidity, you must can them in 8-ounce (250 mL) or pint (500 mL) jars. Heat penetration of larger jars may be inadequate to destroy bacterial spores.

Fish
Preserving a fisherman's catch extends the pleasure of a successful fishing trip with ready-to-use fish from your pantry~ This recipe works for all varieties of fish, including salmon and shad, with the exception of tuna (see www.homecanning.com or www.homecanning.ca for a home-canned tuna recipe). Process fish only in 8-ounce (250 mL) or pint (500 mL) jar.<;.

I . In a large stainless steel bowl, dissolve pickling salt in water to make salt-water brine. Cut fish into pieces just long enough to fit into jars. Place fish in brine and let soak in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Drain well for about 10 minutes.

2. Prepare weighted-gauge pressure canner and lids 30 minutes before ready to pack fish. (For more information, see page 382.) Wash jars but do not heat. (Because fish is packed chilled, it must be packed into room temperature jars to prevent jar breakage.)

3. Pack fish, skin side next to glass, into jars to within a generous 1 inch (2.5 cm) of top of jar. Do not add liquid. Remove any visible air bubbles. Wipe rim with a paper towel moistened with vinegar. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.

4. Place jars in pressure canner. Adjust water level, lock lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Vent steam for 10 minutes, then close vent. Continue heating to achieve 10 lbs (69 kPa) pressure. Process both 8-ounce (250 mL) and pint (500 mL) jars for 100 minutes.

5. Turn off heat. Let pressure return to zero naturally. Wait 2 minutes longer, then open vent. Remove canner lid. Wait 10 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store. (For more information, see pages 383-384.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys well I guess im buying a pressure cooker tomorrow!

Im growing a **** load of paste tomatoes this year esp for canning which ive never done. In reading canning articles I guess you have to use one for them anyway! Im nervous!

We have had an "All American" #930 pressure cooker for a good number of years and have canned salmon, elk, moose, deer, etc. along with corn, beans, tomatoes
etc. ...........it's the only way to go. For salmon or any fish, it's 10 pounds pressure for 100 min, as most have said and only in 500 or 250mL jars. Tomatoes are done
at 5 pounds pressure for 10 minutes for both pint or quart jars. We also use it to make canned dog food, we buy raw dog food meat add rice to it and process it as you
would do for human consumption, also salmon, deer, moose, etc. (The dog eats very well) and we take a couple of cases of her food as well as a few for us when we
go hunting for a couple or more weeks.

A pressure cooker is a very valuable piece of equipment if you harvest your own game/fish/vegetables/fruits and don't mind a little work. They can just about be used
for any kind of food storing. Most say to use home canned products within one year, which we try to do but have some jars of salmon 3 years old and I don't see any
difference it the taste as compared to this years canned, but that's our opinion.

Good luck...........and there is nothing to be nervous about, follow the instructions that come with it, and there should be no problems.............we have NEVER had
a jar of anything come unsealed yet...................famous last words.

Before buying a pressure cooker, think about what you want to do with it, it's like buying a boat..........everyone always gets 2' itis..........I should have bought a 2 foot
larger boat...............same with a pressure cooker as they come in many different sizes. As stated we bought an All American #930 cooker which is listed as a 30 qt
size, it will hold 19 pint jars or 14 quart jars or a mix of both sizes because we had a smaller cooker before and knew we needed a larger one.

there is a canning machine and some new cans at winnstore on cook street in victoria bcall american is the best pressure cooker,

Fish stalker did u just filet your fish and place them right on the smoker racks? No brine before hand? I'd like to can some fish as well, I've been smoking it like crazy whenever I'm not fishing the last few weeks.

Just doing up two batches right now. I fillet, debone, skin chop into jar size pieces, smoke for an hour (no brine), jar, add anything you want, process. The batch im doing right now im going to add a couple peppercorns, a slice of lemon peel and a pickling dill seed head you can buy at thriftys right now.

Good Luck with your canning fs. I might suggest though that you should probably brine your salmon for at least an hour before canning. Generally a 1/2 lb. salt in 1 gallon cold water. I believe it to be safer and creates a better product. I'm sure there are many opinions on this so do your research and good canning to you.;) eman

does anyone have a decently priced supplier for tins?
wells is about a buck a piece? not sure if they come any cheaper or if thats high or low
I use jars but would like to try cans for the convienance of it
Tim

Anyone got a good price lead on cans?

Back