Canadian submarine hits bottom; 2 crew members hurt

Sushihunter

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110605/canadian-submarine-hits-bottom-110605/

Canadian submarine hits bottom; 2 crew members hurt

.slideImage{filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Fade()}
800_cp_hmcs_corner_brook_110605.jpg

Sailors line up on Canadian submarine HMCS Corner Brook to salute Queen Elizabeth II during an international fleet review Tuesday, June 29, 2010 in Halifax. (Paul Chiasson / CP)

View Larger Image

The Canadian Press
Date: Sunday Jun. 5, 2011 3:29 PM ET

ESQUIMALT, B.C. — Two sailors suffered minor injuries after a Canadian submarine struck bottom during weekend training exercises off Vancouver Island.

HMCS Corner Brook was conducting submerging manoeuvres Saturday in the vicinity of Nootka Sound, off the west coast of Vancouver Island, at the time.

Pash said the 60-person crew immediately brought the ship to the surface to conduct safety checks.

Two sailors suffered bruises.

Pash said no fuel was released into the environment, and Corner Brook was returning Sunday to Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt, near Victoria.

He said the crew was participating in advanced officer training at the time.

"The type of training is actually amongst the most challenging conducted in submarines, focused on developing the skills of potential submarine commanding officers," Pash said in an interview Sunday.

The navy will investigate what happened.

Well at least they didn't strike a vessel when surfacing, like that Russian sub did a while back off Sooke/Renfrew!

good no one was hurt. These rusty sewer pipes that were english rejects have been nothing but trouble from the start. We coud have bought brand new state of the art subs for the amount that has been spent on these POS.

Do we really need a submarine program in the Canadian Navy ? seems like a colossal waste of time and money and a outdated form of warfare.

beemer

I find it strange that the media hasn't tried to make these turds a big issue. The feds so far have had it easy, dumping a kings fortune into these things, still not operational, not soon going to be either. The provincial government didn't get this much slack with the FastCats. Its amazing really, the Victoria built in 1994, moth balled a year later, we bought in 1998, the 4 subs delivered here between 2000-04, a few months of service for the Victoria then dry docked and 6 years later still not ready to go. (already 2 years late) The other 3 have to go through this same process so the waste of money has only started.

The re fit contract to upgrade the subs is 1 .2 billion over a 15 year term. Plus change orders.

I've heard that the first sub in for re fit is already behind schedule

To top things off they purchased torpedoes for the subs and they are not compatible for the firing system so more re fit and more $$$$$$.

At least it's providing jobs in the Vistoria area.

Well at least they didn't strike a vessel when surfacing, like that Russian sub did a while back off Sooke/Renfrew!

Or maybe 11/9/94 Chilean sub"Thomson" rammed the sailing vessel "moon glow" off Sheringham Pt. or maybe accidental/not shelling of Pete's Tent & Awning & yet another the accidental 45cal. strafing of hikers on the Juan de Fuca Trail.You Bet practice makes perfect.

It all brings to mind the new jet purchase how much ...$$$$$ will we end up shelling out on them, seems like Van Is. voters were the only ppl. in Canada to put the "x" in the correct space.

If the Yanks want to patrol the world let them throw their tax $$$$$ @ it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we really need a submarine program in the Canadian Navy ? seems like a colossal waste of time and money and a outdated form of warfare.

beemer

They make me feel safe and protected when I am fishing. :p ;)

They sort of remind me of Aquaman as a superhero.....what the hell is he going to do when I am holding up a jewellery store in Maple Ridge.:rolleyes:

As far as being antiquated.....you sure don't hear much about them being used in any of the skirmishes around the world. Ya....North Korea fired a torpedo that sunk a South Korean ship....but not a whole lot of talk on any front about them unless they have strayed into foreign waters....or one becomes incapacitated trapping a bunch of young men.....or <insert> any bad publicity such as mentioned above.

I am surprised. I didn't think that our navy could get these away from the dock. However, since they are capable of sailing/submerging, could we get one up to W.G. so the ladz can use it as a target to set up their new HD sounders?

Back