Campion Explorer with 115 yamaha

esora

I have a 1995 Campion Explorer with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke,need some advice on prop pitch?? I have a 22 pitch on now and it doesn't come out of the hole all that well. Anyone got the same or what size prop and pitch might you have?

Thanks in Advance

Esora

What length is the boat? Most important is what is your rpm at wide open or full throttle? Your motor should be doing at least 5500 rpm. If you are getting 5200 or less you could be lugging which is very hard on any motor. Off the top of my head 22 pitch might be high. Depending on how many blades and diameter you might have to go to a dealer and check the recommendations. You might need to go to 19.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

Thanks Guys

Boat is a 185 Explorer which is actually 18 ft, I thought a 19 would be best , but I will call the dealer and see.

Esora

If the prop is aluminum, 3 blade, it can be repitched at any prop shop lots cheaper than a new one, if ss they can be tweeked up or down 1 or 2. 17 to 19 sounds about right. at any rate your engine rpm should be aprox 5450 to 5500 maxed out and trimmed to be proped right, too high a pitch will cause the rev limiter to kick in, and to low a pitch is hard on the engine, poor performance, bad gas milage and poor handling. Hope this helps....Clay

Hey Esora; the guy at Vic Prop taught me a little trick. Go to a slightly smaller diameter of the same pitch. I went from a 14" to a 13&1/4". You won't lose any top end speed, but the motor won't have to work as hard to swing that bigger prop. It gave me a better hole shot without losing any top end speed (maybe a couple kmh).

Ha esora. A good rule of thumb for determining proper propeller pitch is for every pitch you drop you will gain approx 200rpm. Test your boats max rpm with a normal load of stuff and people on board. Adjust for the top end of your max rpm rating for your engine by adding or taking away pitch on the prop. Ex, If you tach out now at 4900rpm and drop from 22 to 19 pitch(same diameter prop) you should now get 5500rpm. Your max rpm is probably 5500rpm but check the engines sticker or owners manual to be shure.
You nead to drop a couple pitch's by the sounds of it. A couple pitches will make a huge difference on your hole shot. A four blade prop will also help your hole shot and give you less vibration if you troll with your big motor.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Back