Cameron lake - Qualicum falls

FisherGuy

Hi all
I'm going to Qualicum falls and Cameron lake early Aug and want to know what lures to use, where on the lake to use them (if I can find the right drop-offs, creek feeds, etc). I'll have a down rigger on my canoe (with electric motor) as well. I usually use flat fish, wedding band & worm and I fly fish, but also need advise on what flies to use. If there is another good fishing spot nearby you know of, let me know. I do know the creek/pools that run through it have very slim pickings for fishing for some reason.
Any suggestion would be helpful
Thx
JC:cool:

Better check the regs on where to fish on that river.......I think the falls/pools are closed.....

some parts are open and some aren't.

Some nice browns at the drop- off at the upper river where it runs onto the lake.

river s closed I think....the weather s hot...most fish are out in the lake, down very deep. Browns are very hard to catch unless you re lucky to catch one. Rainbows are plenty to catch. I see fishermen in their boats out on that lake all the times when driving on the highway.

Good luck on the Brown's allright.....I have caught the odd smaller one from time to time.....I have yet to see any body actually catch one of the mythical `15+ lb'ers that are said to inhabit that lake. Although pictures from years back from oldtimers do exist.

And I've fished that lake lots.

Lake is said to have Kokanee in it too.......I've never caught any there except about 12 years ago I got one that was about 9 inches long.

The lake used to be Rainbow oriented......but I'm finding as more years go by the more the Cutties are taking over..........9 out of 10 fish I catch there are Cutties....

Seems to vary.....

some days I get nothing but really small stuff...other days they are 12 to 16", sometimes bigger......have had 20 inchers there on occasion..

Lots of guys do well for the bigger ones by fishing really early morning (daybreak) in the summer......seen some nice big Cutts come out of there going 5 or 6lbs.....

I myself usually fish between noon and 7pm.......not one for getting up at the crack of dawn.....:cool:

Been there two weeks ago, I didn't get anything wading and on a spinner but the guys who fished with me were catching the rainbows with their fly rods. Hint: dragonflies.

Back