California Salmon Fishermen Dealt Setback By Cou

Sushihunter

http://www.ktvu.com/news/23613440/detail.html

Salmon Fishermen Dealt Setback By Court Ruling
Posted: 5:16 pm PDT May 19, 2010

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- After years of litigation, a federal judge Tuesday ruled the California government's plan to preserve salmon was “unreasonable,” dealing a victory to farmers and a setback to environmentalists and fishermen.

Fishermen have complained that salmon fishing—once a two billion dollar a year industry—has been ruined by fish-killing diversions of the Sacramento delta to cities and farmers.

“I don't understand why they got to be so greedy that they got to put me and mine out of business,” said salmon fisherman Larry Collins.

Erin Tobin of Earthjustice in Oakland, represents salmon advocates in the lawsuit that has sought to increase water distribution to salmon-spawning habitats.

“We were definitely disheartened, but all is not lost,” said Tobin.

Central valley farmers had seen seven percent cuts in water supplies. They sued for more water.

“Many of us have been saying for years now, having 40 percent unemployment and millions of people standing in food lines had to count for something,” said farmer Mark Borba.

“There’s a thousand miles of coast where people are hurting because of these salmon runs, and it's time to do the right thing so we can all work,” said Collins.

At another hearing Tuesday, the judge ordered both sides to provide fresh data on the health of salmon runs.

With plentiful amounts of rain and runoff so far this year, environmentalists are calling for more balance in distribution.

“I think this is really the time for there to be balance,” said Tobin. “Eighty percent of the water that goes through the delta goes to these agricultural communities, so they're getting a lot of water.”

Fishermen say the decision could determine whether this commercial salmon permit is worth the paper it's printed on. The judge is expected to rule after another hearing next Tuesday.

“It's another week that baby salmon will be able to get out of the delta and out to sea,” said Collins. “We'll take it, a little bit of good news, we'll take it.”

The judge is expected to decide exactly how much water can be drawn through delta pumps and sent to Central and Southern California. Environmentalists say they're confident the judge does not want salmon to go extinct.

Copyright 2010 by KTVU.com. All rights reserved.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Back