Braving the Straight of Georgia

G

Geoffrey James

Hey guys. The wife and recently upgraded from a 17' runabout to a 22' cruiser. We have a cabin on Galiano and we are getting mixed advice on wether we should cross the the straight or not...reports of 'Rogue Waves' are getting the wife mighty scared. Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated.
thanks,
Geoff

Hey Geoff, I crossed for the first time last year. Put the boat in at Crescent Marina, White Rock, and motored across through Active pass. I have a 21' explorer. Water was glass calm both ways. I did watch the weather reports and tides. Used Big Wave Dave site for wind and waves. As most people here can attest it is pretty accurate. I'll be heading across again later in July.

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php

Here is a couple of pics.
[
DaveGulfIslands2008003Small.jpg

DaveGulfIslands2008009Small.jpg

Good luck!
SR

NewBoat2-1.jpg

'Rogue Waves' are more likly to happen on the west coast where there are swells. Normally the water on the inside just gets whiped up a bit by wind, so If your planning a trip don't try to do it in a gale. Even a small craft warning should be ok for you.

Take only what you need.

IF YOU LUANCH FROM THE RIVER WATCH OUT FOR A FALLING TIDE AND A WEST WIND DEADLY AT SANDHEADS BUT OTHER THAN THAT CRASS ALL THE TIME WITHAN 18 TROPHY NO PROBLEM

YUP,the mouth of the FRASER out of Steveston ..by the lightship can be a handfull!The wind in town dropped so off we went..HOLY CRAP..!!!30ft swells and real tight and fast,...real happy to have a gutsy 90hp on my 17 whaler ...WILD WEST

quote:Originally posted by wildwest

YUP,the mouth of the FRASER out of Steveston ..by the lightship can be a handfull!The wind in town dropped so off we went..HOLY CRAP..!!!30ft swells and real tight and fast,...real happy to have a gutsy 90hp on my 17 whaler ...WILD WEST
30 foot swells, in a 17 foot whaler? Hope you are a "Religious" man! Hmmm....? I have never seen that, on the inside?????? But, I have seen over 40 foot "seas"! But again, I have only been doing this since 1982! There are some "great" pictures at the "Rosario Resort" ????[?]

I know,I've been off the charlottes in worst of weather in the summer months BUT the ugliest water i've ever seen was the mouth of the FRASER..RIpping Tides ..DEEP to SHALLOW currents ..outflows..bla-bla...lets get those pro surfers to test the waters hee-hee!!

Family had a cabin on Galiano for 40 years. Whaler bay. Crossed all the time. Smallest boat 14'. Like everyone else says...be smart. check the weather reports.Listen to wx on your vhf. I personally never had a bad experience. Parents packed me and my sister back and forth in a 16 K&C when we were little.From the jetty,Point Roberts,Cesent Beach and from the river.
Be prepared to leave boat there and take ferry home if theres any concern.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

quote:Originally posted by spring time

I've seen it as well don't believe talk to tug captains or commercial guys that fish the river
or talk to the freinds of the family who died in the Cap Rouge fishing boat when she was dragged under and rolled.(were from Galiano too by the way)not to scare you but the mouth is serious tide action

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Cap Rouge was tragic. Scariest time for us was fog. Not fun having it roll up as you enter the mouth.

30 feet?? What are you guys smoking?

I've been down the north arm dozens of times at it's true when you get a falling tide with a NW wind of 10 knots or more you can easily see 6 to 8' standing waves. I run in a 18.5' double eagle and it is a solid sea boat. You will be fine in a 22'. But 15 knots and above and you will get a solid 3' chop and more crossing the strait. Not all that comfortable. Slow going in my boat.
Rogue waves...no. How is your seamanship? Power Squadron offers a great start.

30 foot swells, you have to remember the fisherman exageration factor.

12-15 swells are not uncommon on the WCVI, but I have never seen swells like that on the inside? But, if you put some winds into the equation, it can get rough... very rough on the inside and "seas" are a different story! I have taken "green" water over the bow on the inside, several times! So, can you get 30' seas on the inside… hmmm, I personally haven't seen that, but; Yep... I think you could, but not swells!

Yeh, I have been in 30 foot seas (that is "seas, not "swells"), and it is not pretty! Swells are not the problem. When I lived in Hawaii, 15-20' swells were common. It isnt't the swells you need to watch, but is the seas!

I have also towed a 19' boat in, in 30' seas... and, that was downright ugly, to the point I was ready to "cut" the line! I didn't know boats could do what I saw that boat do, and still stay afloat! I had never seen a boat on a 90-degree angle before! And, it did get my attention to the point, I had everyone put on their life jackets… it was downright scary!

However, I did find the boat would handle and do a LOT more than I will, or want to! [:I]

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Back