Boating into Tofino for the first time…

wdlfbio

We are running a 30’ cat from Port Angeles, Washington to Victoria to check in (furthest west Nexus access point nowadays), then to Tofino (for the Race for the Blue). We have good charts, but are there any tips? Anything not shown that we need to watch out for?

Thank you.

Templar is a pretty wide channel but shallows up so follow the nav buoys. As you turn the corner into the harbour it can get busy with kayaks, commercial, rec boats and float planes. It then gets to real shallow spots as you get closer to gov docks so hug the shore. Watch the currents if you are heading into Tofino Resort Marina. I was running a single and didn’t realize how ripping it was. I had to spin around and get out, and dock at the sea plane finger, usually lots of space there. If you need help, I’m no pilot but I can be an ok deckhand!

I towed up today and left the tuna gear at home :(

We considered towing her up, but several folks pointed out that the road in wouldn’t be the funnest with a 10’4” wide cat sitting atop a 39’ trailer. So, 3 of us will take the boat up and 3 will be driving.

Just watch out if the tide is ebbing and it's blowing hard at Cox point, the corner where you turn up Templar channel. The Lennard island lighthouse will be directly in front of you. Best to stay out from shore there until you can make the turn

We considered towing her up, but several folks pointed out that the road in wouldn’t be the funnest with a 10’4” wide cat sitting atop a 39’ trailer. So, 3 of us will take the boat up and 3 will be driving.
My buddy towed his Grady up 10 foot beam, hated it. I just did camper, boat 8’6” and took a single back road mountain goat trail around an accident and only got the finger from one guy driving a Honda. I'm pretty comfy towing, but I was jealous of my brother who sent me a picture anchored while I was stuck in traffic, w 4+ hours to go.

Boating up is a blast, especially if you are not in a hurry and can share the time at the helm.

Most boats aren’t an issue. I’ve been doing the run a few years now and it’s a decent road. But with that boat being 10’ 4” wide some of those corners might be tight lol. Especially if you meet one of the semis towing a 60’ refer van and they run it daily. Lots of guys tow in some pretty big 5th wheels so length isn’t the thing but your width is the issue.

And that bloody Kennedy Lake hill is a pain with narrow equipment never mind that beast. Them boys are making a career out of that job. I swear there are guys that will start holding signs on that job and they’ll be a superintendent by the time it’s done. Definitely working on island time them boys.

Back