Boat for sale that's over powered.

tidal shot

Crew Member
yesterday a viewed a Striper with a 225 Yamaha on it at a local dealership, it was recently repowered a couple seasons ago. While inspecting it I seen the capacity plater and it says Max 200HP . Just wondering what kind of trouble I guy could get into running over powered ?

Would worry more about the weight of a motor hanging off the transom I doubt 25hp is gonna get you in trouble

Last edited:
You gotta think that transom is designed to handle 200 HP under any conditions. They'll have built it so that it can withstand that kind of pressure without any problem. Outboards are rated within a 10% margain so a 200 could conceivably be 220, and a 225 could be 205, also how often do you run above 5000 RPM anyway? So the only 2 problems I see are buoyancy, and insurance. The former should not be affected by the weight of the 25 extra ponies won't be much. Insurance is where I would watch out. It might not be a problem, it might cause them to deny a claim, those slimy [NSFW] will do anything to not have to pay. I would make sure to declare that beforehand, and make sure they know it's overpowered to be assured they won't pull a fast one on you when push comes to shove.

I got a feeling the F225 is 90 lbs or so heavier than the F200 if thats the motor type. If you have a kicker off the transom, that could be 200 lbs of extra weight. Its quite a bit. Depends on the design of the boat. My Grady would have issues with water coming in the scuppers with that sort of added weight. Nice to have the extra power though

good luck with insurance, you may or may not be able to buy insurance for it, just hope you never have to make a claim, gauranteed they'll jump sideways on you

You just need to declare that the boat is overpowered, they may ask you to put a resort plate on it or let it go. Going down the highway and getting Tboned has really nothing to do with power. Running back in on 10' seas and the stern falls off..... Now you may or may not get coverage.

What length and model is the striper? I think that 21 feet (model 2101) is rated to 250 h.p. and I know that the 23 feet stripers (2300 or 2301) are rated for 300 ponies.

Last edited:
I know in my policy it states that the power cannot be more than the boat specs.on the cap. plate or ins.null & void.

Insurance guy once told me, at that time, it depends on 2 stroke or 4 stroke. A 115 2 stroke most likely weighs less than a 90 4 stroke...as an example. So transom weight was the point he was trying to make.

my boats "over powered" (seems like a perfect amount of power to me)
spec is 235 mines got 300.

im insured with hub, and one of their questions was HP? shouldn't be a problem as long as you declare it.

I'm steering clear of it, found a cherry 2301 hard top out east with a 25o verado with 300hrs! Head out next week to get her

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    596.6 KB · Views: 64
Back