Best tackle prices/selection on South Island?

Little Hawk

Howdy,

Took my 14/yr old Daughter out to the Head/Trap Sat for the night bite.

Turned into a gong-show.

West of the 'Trap' a 40-foot reef managed to sneek up on me.
Short version: lost all the cable/weight/release off one downrigger as well as all tackle from all three rods... Ka-ching - $80/bucks!

I'm new to fishin' here... what can I say?

Most of the gear I lost was purchased from Island Outfitters and I was wondering how many of you buy your gear there or where you go for the best deals?

Back in Vancouver - 25yrs ago - we had old Army & Navy on Hastings to get the best deals and selection.

Does Victoria have a place like the old A & N in Vancouver?

Cheers,
Terry

Nikka Fishing in Richmond BC.

oufitter's , trotac are the places to buy your gear in victoria
they have the best selection.
Most crappy tire stores and capital iron also have a more limited
selection of gear.
Sounds like you met the trap shack reef [xx(]
get your self a chartplotter, expensive but you'll never lose
gear like that again.

Im all for outfitters but I find Scotty stuff cheaper at Wal mart
it seems if you get to know someone at outfitters you can get the good guy price $$

I wonder if we as a group could go to places like scotty and get a bulk disc ??

On another board I used to be on they did that sort of (group buy ) fairly often

tubbed

Howdy

Yeah I hear you. The only problem with that is that if Island Outfi...got word that Scotty was selling direct - they'd freak.

Cheers,
Terry

ya trotac is always the cheapest in my experience plus a couple of very helpful guys - you also don't get the hollier then thou attitude that select employees at island outfitters offer with every purchase.

Trotac is the cheapest for anything marine in Victoria. I guess that’s the draw to get customers to fight traffic all the way down there. I would rate Victoria marine retailers as follows:

Marine hardware- Trotac – Sherwood – West marine

Tackle – Trotac – Wall mart (limited) – Crappy tire (limited) – Island Outfitters.

JMHO

Forgot to mention, Pacific net and twine in Coombs, HUGE selection,and you don't have to have an 80 dollar haircut like on Douglas street.DAN

In Nanaimo we get dynomite service from Harbour Chandler, as well as Screaming fishfly down by the ferries. Great guys with lots of local info and pretty good updates for the west coast too.

Back