Best primer bulb?

Go.Fish

Can anyone recommend a quality primer bulb that lasts a long time? I've had crappy success with the last few I've bought. They're too hard to squeeze after 1-3 seasons. Or is this just something to get used to?
So far I've tried "Fuller" and "Attwood"

I'm guessing the Mercury/Yamaha etc brands would be better, but it there a best one?

Thanks in advance

Never had an issue with any primer bulb. Do you mount them in a vertical position? My verado does not have one but my kicker does. In 2 years I have never had to pump it to prime, bulb mounted vertically. I do have a one way check valve on my racor for both the kicker and main, just to be sure one engine does not drain the other.

I've had very good luck with "Moeller" brand primer bulbs.I've had a set for both my main and kicker now for about
5-6 years and they are still as soft and pliable as the day I bought them.I think one thing that's really hard on them is any exposure to sunlight (UV) and I have always tried to make sure they're mounted well under the splash pan at the stern of the boat.Even when doing that I've had other brands rubber get hard and crack within a few short seasons.

Good Question

ive noticed the quality drop as well , i will have a peek at the 2 i installed in my Striper ,they are ok in the warm weather , but suck in the cooler mornings ,hard as a rock , at the end of the day , we shouldnt really need to pump the bulbs , my newer efi honda 40 , is just like a car , turn the key and go ,
same with my yami T8 , but , my aging efi mains , need a squeeze time to time in the am's, think im gonna install a couple anti siphon valves in each line , prevent fuel from gravity feeding back to the tank , cheap fix , see how it works out next season

let you know what bulbs i have , want to change them out as well

fd

if the primer bulb is fastened in an upright position it should work as a check valve? it is what was told , so i did it.

miner are upright , and pretty new , did some maintenance on the boat over the wknd , they are Moellers ,maybe a crap quality version ,
bought at western marine ,
hard as a rock in the am , was cool out , only a couple years old , not exposed to the elements ,still look brand new .
gonna change them out , and add anti siphon valves to each motor , mine Drain Blair in the upright ??
i think my kicker pulls fuel from my port motor , as i only have 2 water/fuel separators , kicker and port main share one..
figured 3 would be a little over kill

let ya know my findings on some softer bulbs

fd

Last edited:
I bought this primer bulb 3 years ago and as advertised it is still soft at all temps. It shows no longer available but I found some sites in the US that still have them. I believe Seastar bought the company.

Mallory 9-38101 (3/8") CARB Compliant Primer Bulb
by Mallory
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer review

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
  • Single-piece check valve that increases pumping efficiency 20 percent over the leading OEM product and prevents the bulb from kinking
  • Requires 50 percent less force to compress at low temperature
  • Outstanding durability - made of a proprietary compound that resists harsh heat, cold and sunlight
  • Exceeds current EPA/CARB Fuel Permeation standards by almost 70 percent
  • 2 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

so turns out the one I thought was "Fuller" is actually a Moeller, must've been reading that upside down drunk. It's rock hard definitely not buying one of those again (3 seasons old). I have 2 on the Jet boat, both are Attwood, and both are pointing up in the proper direction, one is in the sun all year and the other is under the dog house, both are really hard after 2 seasons, also not buying those again. Sure if they didn't lose pressure they'd be all good but both require priming after sitting for a while.
Gonna check Canadian tire, and see what they have for OEM type brands, if not I'll have a look at the Mallory, thanks for the heads up

Back