Batteries dead?

bullyjack

Had a bunch of work done to fix 2 mechanics incompetance. Replaced starter, exhaust gaskets, replace and relocate rawwater pump and alternator, intake manifold( exiting was for a 4 speed drag car), lower shiftcable was siezed, coupler mechanic installed a used alpha on a bravo 3 drive. 2800$. Picked up the boat and it sat for 3 weeks, fired it up in the driveway ran great. Sat for another month, went to fire it up to take it out on a test run and both batteries are right dead, can't even get a light or a blower to turn on. I did leave the battery switch on( dummy) . I've had the charger on since sunday and still nothing. Are the batteries toast or am i missing something?

If your charger is working then you should have topped up batteries. How old are the batteries? 5-7 years is all you should expect to get bout of them. This was a colder and longer winter than most so batteries near the end of their life would be more likely to fail. You will still want to check and see if you have anything drawing power when your switch is on.

Batteries are 4-5 years old, not sure what would be drawing power, i disconnect all the electronics when in storage. I'll go over everything today and see what i can figure out, thanks.

Use a multimeter set to volts to see if your batteries are charged. If they are then the problem probably lies elsewhere. If not it is possible your batteries need a little jolt to start charging as they are so discharged. Use jumper cables from a known good battery. After connecting up to each battery individually connect your charger, they should start charging after a minute or so. you should see the voltage on your multimeter climb steadily as the voltage increases in the battery. Unfortunately your batteries may be sulfated and never recover, the only cure then is replacement.

Ya i have 1 on, got pissed at all the breakdowns and didn't put it on all winter. Replaced with 2 650amp everlast.

I suggest disconnecting them from any possible load and see if they will charge. You may have something shorting out.

After 4 days and only 1,5 volts they are toast. Just make sure you don't have something going on that might kill the new ones.

You could try to re sulfate or un sulfate them and see if they take a charge. Then use them as storage batteries. Buy a new starter, save some money

Thanks guys, replaced both and the battery switch, can't find any shorts or drawing of power. Test run on sat then try to get out andfinally do some fishin!

Last week we replaced the starting battery on the truck with a new one. No matter what was done it would not provide power to do more than activate the relay (click) for the starter motor. Battery returned to the dealer for load testing and tested out as perfect. Eventually a 2nd new battery was provided which worked. Conclusion of the dealer was that they load test on the top terminals, but with the first new battery there was an internal battery problem related to the side terminals which we were using. They said it is not common but they have seen it before.

Back