Bait brine

Gee how about just soaking the bait in fermaldyhyde that is what we used to do for live cod fishing. I tried using it for salmon a couple of times and caught a couple of Springs. Bait lasts for months :D

I’m a converted “Brine man”. Use only dry salt now. I find it is easer and better. Appling salt directly on frozen anchovies immediately begin a slow thaw & drying process. In 4 hours the bait is nicely dehydrated, shriveled up and tough. That’s what you want. After being in the chuck for as little as 2 minuets the bait begins the plump up and give off copious amounts of sent. The plumping up also makes the hooks stay put. [^]

This is probably a dumb question but.. how long do you leave the bait in the brine? Do you then just freeze it and re-freeze what is left? I've just been using the 'chovies out of the package and yes, they sure do go limp after a short dunking [xx(]. I'd like to brine some for the weekend.:)

Tom

Good info on the Salmon University website regarding brining. They recommend powdered milk and blueing product added to the salted solution. I don't find the benefit of blueing and powdered milk any more beneficial. I do think brining frozen bait, regardless if it is whole herring, cut plug or anchovie is the way to go. I don't like my bait too dehydrated so I go with a solution of salt at the point where no more salt will disolve in the water (I don't add salt to bait without water). A saturated solution of salt in water will not freeze in a normal freezer but the bait will freeze in the solution. I will use for up to 5-7 days if it only has to be dethawed once or twice. If I am going out in less than 5 days I leave it in the fridge. I place my brine in a tupperware container. My bait is bright, firm and doesn't loose scales.

No one here uses the Blue Jello in their brine? I've never heard of the blueing stuff, but the I thought the Jello was pretty well known.

You can tell who the old guys are, they know about blueing and its use, the young guys dont:D Unfortunately, I know about it[:I]

quote:The dry brine is simply rock salt but I completely smother the bait in a six pack cooler and store it in the freezer. Salt of course being such a good preserver, this keeps them in good condition for days and toughens them
I do the same as Juan, except I put my little cooler in the fridge--keeps just fine for a couple of weeks. Eventually they do get too tough to put your wire into, but it sure saves on bait and they work well for me.
T2

I take 3 packs of anchovy thaw them slowly.. put pickling salt in the bottom of a rubbermaid just enough to cover the bottom, layer anchovies in with a layer of salt in between. this is important.. the layers after the first are placed so that when the salt sucks the water out, and the whole mass start to collapse the bait will bend slightly..after the water is out the bait has a bend in the direction the teaser head is designed...yes they are stiff...but in no time in the water they rehydrate and look like a normal anchovy. and they last a long long time and do not go soft.
I keep the rubber maid container in a cooler of ice and always keep it ice cold.
I have 100% confidence in this method, I have used salted bait up to 3 week old, this year if I have 3 rods down one is always an anchovy, if I get fish it's been on this.
I like to turn the container upside down every few days when not fishing to let the liquid in the bottom percolate through the bait to marinade.

I tried the brine mix on Salmon U a few years ago when i stayed at critter cove and the bait lasted the four days we were out there.
Later that same year i did a batch on anchovies for chum fishing and the bait lasted four trips, i just put it back in the freezer until i went out again. Very successful fishing trips i should add.

I found the brine on UofS to work very well, the bait stays firm for days and the shine it gives off is great. Don't knock it tell you try it.

I agree. I used the Salmon U brine for the first time last week (always did the dry rock salt brine before) and definatly like the Salmon U brine better.

After I brine my bait I put the whole baitbox back into the freezer not the fridge. With the high salt content it doesnt re-freeze the bait, but produces bait that is aprox -18 degrees and can keep for up to a year!

Maybe found something that works !
On the way over to Bamfield,I ran across some rubber bait at the Gone Fishin store in Port Alberni and thought I would give them a try. Real good stuff! . We went out to 26 Mile from Bamfield last Tuesday and had a great time with Hali, Ling, Coho and Springs..and the doggies.
They are made by Baitrix in Port Alberni. http://www.baitrix.com
Might be the anwser. Saves a lot of hassel with the brining etc

Back