At least 7 grizzly bears spotted near Sayward

Are the Grizzlies still around during the winter,, specifically like right now,

Thanks
We get meat from a farm in Sayward and the farmer has had worries with grizzlies in the past, I asked him about them when I was there a few days ago and he said there had been none lately.

Are the Grizzlies still around during the winter,, specifically like right now,

Thanks
Not normally, no.

Starting October sometime (skinnier bears last) they start disappearing and are usually sleeping by late October. Most years the females and cubs arrive a couple weeks to maybe even almost a month in estuaries in some places ahead of the males in April and then get chased off by the males. By early may the males arrive and stay until early October (and move more inland, as well most often chasing salmon) and the cycle repeats itself.

Some years the salmon runs are so poor - the younger and less big and aggressive bears don't get enough salmon and try to hibernate with inadequate fat. They are usually the ones that wake-up early and get into trouble...

man. Campbell River just crawlin with Grizzlies. maybe i should stop blaming raccoons for getting into my garbage :)

? what with the cambell river stat? maybe north quadra, no way grizz around there.

Back