Are there restrictions on bringing back fresh crab (legal size) from US back to Canada?

ge604fish

If you go fishing in washington (with license) , and catch live crabs, are you allowed to bring them back to Canada?

From what i read, meats going to US is a big no no but coming back to Canada seems a whole different story. As far as I know, live and fresh seafood has no restrictions other than a few species. I assume we'll be limited to the catch limit as defined in BC (and of course be saltwater licensed) ?

Am I likely to be pulled into secondary if I declare whole crabs? If anyone has experience, specifically with crabbing, that would be great!

thanks!

Last edited:
Have your licence, have the regs to show them the limit and you would be good to go. I have never had issues with fish. I declare it, and then when they asked what meat do you have and I say fish , they have always just said thanks carry on. You would not be limited to the BC catch regs legally fishing in another jurisdiction.

I get that but crabbing is great all over , I personally dont know the rules over there as I know they have really weird ones.

Are you asking because the legal size is slightly smaller and you’ll have live crabs on-board(or in car). Haven’t bothered looking in ages but I believe in the past the Washington legal size was smaller(can’t remember the difference).

Back