Any truth to the Rumor?

Islandgirl

I have heard that dfo has closed the gate at stamp falls so no more sockeye can get into the lake. The fish are dying in the river.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Nothing those fools do would really surprise me. Despite the fact that fish went up the systems in huge numbers for thousands of years without negative effect, these policy bound characters know better. If you don't believe that, just ask them.

yes.. they managed the east coast stocks to extinction.. now they are working on the west coast.

Salmon, an inconvenient fish. Manage them into extinction so you can concentrate on the really important things like Norwegian fish farms. This really seems to be the new mandate of DFO. :(

yes.. they managed the east coast stocks to extinction.. now they are working on the west coast.

Well I guess I can see the writing on the wall here; a repeat of what happened on the east coast almost 30 years ago. At that time there was a moratorium against drilling for oil and gas because of concerns for wildlife and most importantly the East Coast cod fishery. So they managed to get rid of the cod; there was no more need for the moratorium; and now everyone is happy drilling for oil and gas.

Fast-forward 30 years to the West Coast and we have a moratorium against drilling for oil and gas because of concerns for wildlife; most notably wild Salmon stocks; get rid of the Salmon and there is no more need for the moratorium; and we will all be happy drilling for oil and gas.

KUDOS Millertime,

You hit the nail on the head. Add to that if they get rid of wild stocks the only way you will be able to have salmon is to buy that stuff off the shelf that is about the same as Pollock being called Artificial Crab. Guaranteed that if it will line the pockets of business and party supporters, it will eventually happen.

That in effect may be what is happening, but I really don't think it is as deliberate as Millertime claims, but off course I could be wrong.

I have heard that dfo has closed the gate at stamp falls so no more sockeye can get into the lake. The fish are dying in the river.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I'll try to get out there this weekend for a look if it's closed I'll post a picture. Can't see this beening true because the Sproat River gate would be shut too. Even the DFO is that stupid.

Correct me if I am wrong here but there are already chinook, presumably summer run steelhead and coho in the somass river system right now because chinooks are turning up in the first nation gill nets in the river already and I would easily assume in the commercial nets aswell and DFO has posted on their commercial opening bulletins that commercial fishing should try and avoid certain area's at certain times for migrating coho (I highly doubt they care) but they are aware they are in the canal already aswell.

If they close the gates on the stamp falls wouldn't that stop other species from reaching their spawning destinations, chinook and coho returns havn't been all that spectacular especially chinook in the past few years (20,000 - 25,000 spawners natural/hatchery).

So what I am trying to say is wouldn't other species get tired and eventually die from not being able to get threw the fish ladder since it's probably the hardest part of the entire river to pass threw?

Back