anti-foul for transducer

Jencourt

Curious if any of you have anti-foul product on your transducer??
If so, what is the product??

I see a list on line of recommended product for this application , but thought I would see what if anything you folks are doing??

Cheers: Ray

Last edited:
I have painted the sides, top, and bracket before with anti fouling. Sorry don't remember the exact type. I never painted the bottom of the transducer as I thought it might interfere with the signal. As the bottom surface protrudes below the hull it gets scrubbed clean when running anyways.

West Marine sells something for this, saying regular anti fouling paint will attack the plastic on the transducer. Also says illegal in California or where prohibited by law - highly suspect this includes Canada.

I have only owned high speed boats, but i never paint mine & have had no growth.

West Marine sells something for this, saying regular anti fouling paint will attack the plastic on the transducer. Also says illegal in California or where prohibited by law - highly suspect this includes Canada.

I have only owned high speed boats, but i never paint mine & have had no growth.

You obviosly have never kept your boat in year round in a location with very little water circulation. I kept my boat in year round for several years at the head of false Creek (plazza of nations) . The growth in that stagnant water was unreal. Bottom coat on everything was mandatory, and even then you still got a pretty thick carpet of growth on stuff. Until you've been in a location like that year round, you have no idea how bad it can get.

The bottom coat I used on the transducer was a version of interlux paint. It's probably banned for use now with the environmental regs. The anti fouling paint I used at the time never affected the plastic on the transducer. Sorry, but I can't remember the exact type of paint, as that was many years ago.

Last edited:
Back