anchoring a boat long term

Rum Buddies

just looking at tod inlet lately and the hordes of "boat people" setting up shop there. Anchoring docks, some vessels sinking etc. - maybe 20+ boats there.

What are the laws regarding anchoring a boat in bc waters? Can you do it pretty much anywhere for any length of time? Where would you not be allowed to anchor a boat?

Just curious if anybody has any info?

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

There is some information here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/tp/tp14799/tp14799.pdf
Takes care of the "buoy" question, but... how about anchoring? :)

I have not researched this, but believe I can anchor wherever; as long as there is not a no anchoring allowed notice?

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

There is some information here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/tp/tp14799/tp14799.pdf
Takes care of the "buoy" question, but... how about anchoring? :)

I have not researched this, but believe I can anchor wherever; as long as there is not a no anchoring allowed notice?

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Pretty much true...

You can not anchor in the channel. Boats must be able to get past you without having to avoid you.

In False Creek in Vancouver there is a real legal limbo going on. While the water is controlled by the feds, the City of Vancouver has water lots along the edges of the shoreline. They are claiming that you can not anchor there, but it has not really stopped anyone.

I was part of Blueways in 1999 that tried to police that situation - it was pretty much a lost cause. We did put in permanent mooring buoys and charged a small fee for overnight use. Problem was that they did not set good anchors and some of them dragged out of position. As far as I know, the situation is unchanged.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

ya no really asking about a mooring buoy but about anchoring a large boat long term. I guess its fair game?

quote:Originally posted by SushihunterIn False Creek in Vancouver there is a real legal limbo going on. While the water is controlled by the feds, the City of Vancouver has water lots along the edges of the shoreline. They are claiming that you can not anchor there, but it has not really stopped anyone......
As far as I know, the situation is unchanged
Yup still a clown show I cycle by it all the time hope to again tomorrow.

You never know what's happened after a bit o' weather ;) [:eek:)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

hey Poppa , I have spent a lot of time on this issue in the Oak Bay area. If the Municipality has a water lot lease that covers the area (not a shoreline lease) they can kick out the boat using the local police. If the boat is anchored in a channel , call the Coast Guard on Channel 83a and give the exact position , make sure you use the words "Hazard to Navigation" as they must respond to that.

Another avenue is contacting Transport Canada and informing them that the "moored" boats are not displaying anchor lights at night, which is in violation of the Collision Regulations. Only RCMP or Coast Guard can enforce this one. Try calling the marine RCMP detachment in your area.If the vessels are not displaying registration numbers also ask them to check on who the owners are. You have a legal right to know if pedophiles or criminals are living in your "neighborhood".

Sewage pumping can be a reason of concern especially in a confined area like Todd inlet. Call the ministry of the Environment AND DFO and let them know you are concerned about shellfish and crabs in the area due to sewage dumping in a "environmentally sensitive area".

The Province and municipalities (you) spend hundreds of thousands of dollars every year cleaning up after these freeloaders , we educate their kids, pay them welfare and only get grief in return.

Unfortunately we live in a complaint driven society ,so you have to be a whiner to get any action on this issue. If you need any phone numbers email me.

Hope this helps . beemer

I would also think that Maritime Law regarding salvage would kick in at some point if the boat was left and became derelict. Isn't there some form of notice you can place on a derelict and abandoned boat to indicate you are going to make a claim?

In Canada you cannot lay claim to a vessel (salvage) unless you have performed a service unlike in other countries.

In Canada the governing body is THE RECEIVER OF WRECKS . They really don't care about the vessel if it is floating and if is sunk they really don't care either.

Back