Anchor rope size

pescaru

I have an 18 ft Trophy and looking to get a new rope for me anchor.
What size would you guys say its ok to use: 1/2in or 5/8?
Around 3-400 ft?
Cheers
Vic

I have a 20 ft Campion and I carry 400 feet of 3/8 inch braided nylon. It has a tensile strength of 4200 pounds which is double my boats weight.

I run 400' of 3/8", for me the biggest issue is chaffing when running up through the scottsman. The guys at Trotac were really helpful to me. Also make sure that whatever you get doesn't have a tendency to tangle and knot.

The thicker diameter the further it pulls it back in the current (drag). The thicker it is makes it easier to pull up by hand thou?? So my recommendation would be doublebraided nylon because it is the strong and won't twist up easily. 5/16 to 3/8" of good quality will last many years if looked after. Samson braid is 7500 lbs (breaking strength) for 5/16. Retie the knot onto the chain shackle regularly (use an anchor knot and tape it). Watch it for chaffing and dry it after use. Get 400 ft, you'll use it. Also make sure the chain is at least double the boat's length.
Scope is 3-1 for when your on board and 5-1 when leaving the boat.
During an emergency or when dragging anchor use a kellet on your anchor line. Tie a small loop of rope around your anchor line with one of your cannonballs on it and let it slide down to the bottom.It will give the anchor better grip by maintaining the anchor more horizontal w/bottom.[:p] Good Luck and Be Careful!
http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm one of many rope sites!

I have to say that from my experience, Samson is stronger EXCEPT when pulling through the hoop on your float! With braided, I never have that problem with it breaking there anyway, just my observation. Another bit of advice, the last 50 feet or so that goes between your boat and your float, use 3/8" Poly, that way, if you go get it around your leg in a strong tide, it wlil break rather then sink your boat.

I fish the Columbia and anchor in some heavy current. 1/2 " double braided anchor line is what I use. 1/2" is rated at 1500 pounds and it will sink a 26 foot boat with no problem. Did I mention that I use an anchor release. Better to lose an anchor than a boat in my humble opinion.

Back