Amundson Savvy Captain X3 Moocher

wildthing

Amundson have just sent me a pair of new rods to try for this coming season
and first impressions looks like its ticking most of the boxes

there are 9' and 10'-6" moocher version based on an E-glass blank
rings are solid framed so good for braid and mono with a super nice under frame tip eye,
so no more the line snagging around the tip or you are getting to much line twist in your gear .

solid black whippings with a gold finish edge, epoxied varnish so there staying put
down locking screw reel seat.
blank is a little heavy in the build but if your one for banging a rod around the boat or it gets dropped against the rail its built to take a few knocks and not let you down .

action is medium with lots of power in the butt so no worries of setting in the rigger and winding down on a tight clip setting ...
the florescent yellow tip some will like others won't but it makes seeing that tip bounce so much easier on the eye.

as a rod made to a budget it has a few short comings but the main things are there,
and a few people are going to be surprised at how well its going to perform ....

i'll keep you posted on how it stands up to this coming season of adventures out on the chuck .
guides and lodges should really have a waggle as its built with a fair bit of west coast fishing in mind
meaning it should handle the off shore bottom bouncing style which will make a few happy .....
so go check them out at your nearest Amundson stockist

What is the Butt end like? Are they like the Sumo and are carbon fibre?
I've been running the savvy sumo for a year now, and was thinking of going back to my old rods. I had medium powers broke both with in a week, same with a couple of buddies. They sent me medium heavy and have had no problems since.
I just don't like the butts, I've almost lost the rods in the holders from winding up the reels. They also when setting a hook can slide off the side of your body.
Just wondering if they made the change?

just a plain composite cork fore grip and same on the rear
with a solid plastic butt cap so nothing fancy
if your down this way with work let me know and i can let you see one

reports back from the 9 footers in use
are this is winner " best performing 9 ' rod ever had" to quote a very demanding F.A . on Vancouver island....

Back