Aluminum Diamond Plate Floor

happy hooker

Crew Member
I am replacing the vinyl covered plywood floor in my boat this winter. I was originally planning on a composite panel out of the states but am now thinking about aluminum diamond plate. Anyone have experience with it as a floor in a boat? I guess concerns would be how hot it gets in summer, brightness of reflection, traction? Any shared experience and or opinions appreciated.

i have a full sheet of 3/16" aluminum checker plate in perfect shape that i may be willing to part with 4' X 8' it's the shiny variety.

DP floors are great. The shine goes away pretty quick so no reflection issues and I don't notice a major heat difference.

When replacing a plywood floor you may have to add some additional structure for support. The plywood doesn't need much support and unless you want to use a heavy gauge DP, which defeats the decreased weight advantage, you'll should have a couple additional cross members added. And after a few months my screws started to back out and the floor rattled. Tightening didn't last long so I pulled them all and put some silicon on the tip of each screw, no issues in the past 3 years.

DP was on my trophy when I purchased it.....looked great, damage proof but found it to be a tich slipery especially after a murder scene on deck. I added thick rubber mats from homedepot for $20 each (ones with holes). Found them to be great for several reasons....soft to stand on, easy to rinse off over side/less slippery on deck for sure/much safer, warmer on bottom of feet during winter outings.

I am replacing the vinyl covered plywood floor in my boat this winter. I was originally planning on a composite panel out of the states but am now thinking about aluminum diamond plate. Anyone have experience with it as a floor in a boat? I guess concerns would be how hot it gets in summer, brightness of reflection, traction? Any shared experience and or opinions appreciated.

HH, I would be very interested in what material you end up going with as I am planning to do the same..

I see on the new hewes boats they have a DP plated that has a kind of scratch to it on the diamond not slippery at all. They use it on there Pods and side walkways.

Back