alert bay

nedarb2

just making sure, ive read it all but heres a few last questions and summary:

there will be springs, pinks, coho, and some halibut around 1st august week correct.

springs: 100-120' water
40-60 on the downrigger
flasher and anchovy (6' leader?)

coho:
kelp beds in mitchell bay
army truck or blue/ silver spoons
surface trolling 8oz weight and spoon or 15' on downrigger?

pinks:
same as coho with pink squirt?

halibut 150-300' water

thanks!

wont let me edit but one more note:
thanks very much for all the help everboy. were looking forward to this trip so much and it wouldnt have been possible with out all of your help and advice. We havnt had the greatest luck in the gulf islands where our boat is grounded (moored) so this is going to be a great experience, and im hoping we can hook into lots of fish, even if their just pinks, were going for fun and just want some action atlast :)

You really shouldn't 'not' be able to catch springs...

yes, for Malcolm, sounds about right (there are just as good areas about bayonet ('the wall' is one place always mentioned), but I don't know where and how specifically). Springs...focus north side of Donegal in depths as mentioned, the slide (obvious when you are there) through to Lizard Point...boats tell the obvious - don't bother trolling to the slide from Donegal - I'd pick up and boot over, although you can certainly catch all the way along), and Mitchell Bay - infront of the kelp and along the west part of the bay (the large rock is one key area where I know several in the 40's and 50's have been caught recent years...obvious when you are there - other side of the bay from the wharf)...work 120' of water and I think it may shallow up to around 70' near the rock so don't be too deep. Basic green hot spot and plaid flashers work well, and green glow or army truck on the teaser head.

Coho...not overly sure if it would be hopping by then, but they should be around...I swear by the mint tulip with green flash...kelp bed as I mentioned - use that setup and you're also just as likely to catch a spring.

Pinks..probably should be starting to rock...use a red flasher with your squirt - you can pretty much catch them anywhere...throw a 16 ounze weight on 30-40 pulls as a surface line with that rig. I'd still fish 30-40' on the downrigger

Socks...'should' be in there, were when we were there on our last trip (Aug 15)...same gear as springs....a nuisance if you can't keep...check restrictions.

Halibut...yup, sounds good...we used large herring if that helps any (my wifes gramps that guided at Sunds ONLY used herring or octopus). If the north side is too rough, you can try just went of Mitchell in the middle of Cormorant as well...line up with end of Kaleva Road i think.

If you ever get overwhelmed with where to go, just tag along behind the Sunds Lodge boat like a ******* seal looking for a free ride :D

Also, focus on the obvious early and late rule...we were always out there by 5-5:30 am, and then catch the evening bite...was pretty tough the rest of the day unless the pinks and coho are in...then its non stop.

Expect full report and pics as I'm gonna negotiate with the wife to get up there myself mid august...

aweosme thanks deewar! was my depth right for cohos by the way? last question.. for now, i promise!

hope you can make it with me kelly let me know! think august 2-7 ;)

yeah...coho fine 15-50'...anywhere in there fine....even caught them just retrieving a buzz bomb through feed. Just not sure if they will be there in great numbers (another spot for coho (locally called coho point) was the point at the furthest most entrance to Mitchell Bay - make sure you push right into that point if you are trolling along the shore by the big rock)

Brandon were gonna put something together last min so we can play it by ear. I might head to bamfield instead early aug it should be hot.

Back